The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

DATE=11/12/1999 TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT TITLE=RWANDA / TRIBUNAL (L ONLY) NUMBER=2-256091 BYLINE=JENNIFER WIENS DATELINE=NAIROBI CONTENT= VOICED AT: INTRO: The chief prosecutor of the U-N's war crimes tribunal says she will visit Rwanda even though the government there has decided not to meet with her. As Jennifer Wiens reports, Rwanda is angry with the U- N tribunal because a man accused of helping orchestrate the 1994 Rwanda genocide was released from custody last week. TEXT: The Rwanda war crimes tribunal's chief prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte, says she is going ahead with her trip to Rwanda later this month. She is hoping the trip will help repair relations between Rwanda and the tribunal. But, the Rwandan government does not welcome her visit. Rwanda's justice minister, Jean de Dieu Mucyo, sent a letter (on Thursday) to Ms. Del Ponte, saying he will not meet with her when she comes. Mr. Mucyo says his refusal is to protest the tribunal's release last week of a war crimes suspect, Jean-Bosco Barayagwiza, due to a procedural problems with his trial. Mr. Barayagwiza faced several charges of genocide, inciting others to genocide, and crimes against humanity. But the appeals chamber of the U-N tribunal ordered Mr. Barayagwiza's release, saying prosecutors violated his rights as an accused person because he was detained for months without being officially charged or brought to trial. Mr. Barayagwiza's release angered the Rwanda government, which considers him a ringleader of the massacres that claimed more than one-half-million lives in 1994, when extremists from the ruling ethnic Hutu systematically slaughtered minority ethnic Tutsi and moderate Hutu. Mr. Barayagwiza was an official with Rwanda's foreign ministry during the genocide and also helped found Radio Milles Collines, which was notorious for its anti-Tutsi broadcasts. Rwanda suspended its cooperation with the U-N tribunal after Mr. Barayagwiza's release. Ms. Del Ponte's trip is an effort to win back Rwanda's assistance. Ms. Del Ponte, who also heads the U-N's war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, says the international court cannot continue operating without Rwanda's cooperation and that she wants to improve the tribunal's work. Rwanda has long been critical of the tribunal, which has tried only five cases in the five years since it was established. Meanwhile, Rwanda's own war crime courts have already tried more than 15-hundred people and has executed 22 people found guilty of genocide. (Signed) NEB/JW/JWH/LTD/JO 12-Nov-1999 11:24 AM EDT (12-Nov-1999 1624 UTC) NNNN Source: Voice of America .





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list