23 October 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- COLOMBIA MARCH Voice of America 23 October 1999 -- Millions of Colombians are expected to march down the streets in the country's major cities today (Sunday) in protest against the violence and warfare that is ripping Colombia apart.
- EAST TIMOR / GUSMAO Voice of America 23 October 1999 -- East Timorese independence leader Xanana Gusmao has pledged to do his utmost to rebuild his devastated homeland after violence wrought by anti-independence militia groups last month.
- ALBRIGHT-SUDAN Voice of America 23 October 1999 -- Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is pushing for an end to Sudan's 16 year civil war. Albright's talks with rebel leader John Garang focused on the importance of the Kenyan-led peace process that is now underway.
- ETHIOPIA/SOMALIA Voice of America 23 October 1999 -- The leaders of three rival Somali factions have paid an unusual visit to Addis Ababa to meet with Ethiopian officials.
- RUSSIA/CHECHNYA Voice of America 23 October 1999 -- Russian military columns have closed off the last road out of Chechnya as rebel fighters dig in to defend the capital, Grozny, against an expected assault by government troops.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|