The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

DATE=9/12/1999 TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT TITLE=EAST TIMOR / L NUMBER=2-253750 BYLINE=KYLE KING DATELINE=JAKARTA CONTENT= VOICED AT: INTRO: Indonesian officials are coming under mounting pressure to allow an international peacekeeping force into violence-ravaged East Timor Province. But so far, officials have shown little willingness to accept international demands. From Jakarta, V-O-A's Kyle King reports. TEXT: A five member U-N Security Council team is expected to meet with President B-J Habibi later Sunday, to make a last-ditch appeal to the government to allow international intervention in East Timor. The U-N team traveled to the province Saturday to see the results of the violence carried out by pro-Jakarta militias in the wake of the overwhelming vote for independence on August 30th. One member of the team described East Timor as a "living hell." The commander of Indonesia's armed forces, General Wiranto, had raised hope the government might give in to international pressure and allow a U-N sponsored peacekeeping force to restore security in the territory. The general said he was ready to recommend to the government an international peacekeeping force be allowed into the province ahead of the November time-frame was spelled out in the agreement to hold the last month's independence referendum. But Indonesia's U-N ambassador rejected idea in New York late Saturday, following a Security Council debate, later suspended until the five man U-N team returns to brief the council on its mission. The Indonesian ambassador says the time is not yet right for international intervention. President Habibi has scheduled an emergency meeting with General Wiranto and other top officials for today (Sunday). // REST OPTIONAL // Meanwhile, President Clinton has suspended all military sales to Indonesia and said the United States is reviewing economic and commercial programs with Indonesia. East Timorese resistance leader Jose Ramos-Horta has called for a boycott of Indonesian holiday resorts to protest the violence in East Timor. The Nobel laureate told reporters in Australia many hotel chains in the resort of Bali are owned by the Indonesian military, which has been accused of supporting pro-independence militiamen. In another development, United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Mary Robinson has cancelled a planned visit to East Timor. She had been expected to visit the territory before holding talks with President Habibi in Jakarta. The former Irish president has called for the establishment of an international tribunal to investigate reports of military and police involvement in the human rights abuses in East Timor. (signed) Neb/kbk / wd 12-Sep-1999 00:19 AM LOC (12-Sep-1999 0419 UTC) NNNN Source: Voice of America .





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list