The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

DATE=9/10/1999 TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT TITLE=EGYPT - SECURITY (L-ONLY) NUMBER=2-253698 BYLINE=LISA BRYANT DATELINE=CAIRO CONTENT= VOICED AT: INTRO: Egypt's Interior Minister has replaced the head of state security, as part of a larger security reshuffle. This comes after the attack (Monday, September 6) on President Hosni Mubarak. From Cairo, Lisa Bryant reports. TEXT: An Egyptian official said Friday that Interior Minister Habib El Adli has replaced the chief of state security, and that at least three security officers are to appear before a disciplinary tribunal. The three were in charge of security at the Egyptian Mediterranean City of Port Said, the scene of the knife attack on President Hosni Mubarak. All three were also removed from their jobs earlier this week. The Interior Ministry official said that four other policemen will be disciplined for apparently lax security during the President's visit to the port city, which is one of Egypt's key industrial zones. The attack took place as President Mubarak drove through Port Said in a motorcade. As crowds cheered their President, 39-year-old Al-Sayeed Soliman reportedly stabbed Mr. Mubarak with a pocket knife. He also managed to injure the head of the presidential guard, before security officers shot him dead. President Mubarak escaped with superficial wounds on his hand, and went on to deliver a scheduled speech. But since then, there have been questions about how the attacker -- who was reportedly acting on his own - - got so close to the moving presidential motorcade to injure both Mr. Mubarak and the head of the presidential guard. In interviews with Egyptian newspapers this week, President Mubarak said the attack showed that security authorities did not carry out their job well. The President said those responsible will be questioned and punished. Mr. Soliman has been variously described by local newspapers as a Muslim fundamentalist with a grudge, and as a mentally unstable man who did not take his prescribed medication. //OPT// Some press reports said Mr. Soliman may have been carrying a letter for President Mubarak, not a knife. But in his published remarks, the President said his assailant was carrying a knife, and a bottle with liquid in it - not a letter. //END OPT// Later this month, Egypt's 71-year-old President is expected to be elected to a fourth straight six-year term. Monday's attack raised questions about who will succeed President Mubarak, a survivor of numerous assassination attempts. Although the President apparently escaped unscathed, he nonetheless cancelled a scheduled visit to Libya for the Organization of African Unity summit. (SIGNED) NEB/LB/GE/ENE/JO 10-Sep-1999 10:53 AM EDT (10-Sep-1999 1453 UTC) NNNN Source: Voice of America .





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list