30 September 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 30 September 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 30 Sep 1999
- Text: Assistant Secretary Taft Sept. 30 Remarks on East Timor USIA 30 September 1999 -- The Indonesian Government must ensure that the international humanitarian community has full and secure access to refugees and displaced people, according to Assistant Secretary of State for Population, Refugees, and Migration Julia Taft.
- Text: Assistant Secretary Koh Sept. 30 Testimony on East Timor USIA 30 September 1999 -- Resolution of the situation in East Timor must be a top priority for the international community, including governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and international organizations, according to Harold Hongju Koh, assistant secretary of state for democracy, human rights and labor.
- PRESS BRIEFING BY UN HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS 30 September 1999 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, told correspondent at a Headquarters press briefing today that she hoped to establish an international commission of inquiry for East Timor "as a matter of urgency"
- COHEN/JAKARTA Voice of America 30 September 1999 -- Defense Secretary William Cohen met with political leaders and human rights activists in Jakarta today (Thursday) to discuss the crisis in East Timor. From the Indonesian capital, Mr. Cohen called on Indonesia's government to rein in its military.
- E. TIMOR REBELS Voice of America 30 September 1999 -- A group of guerrilla independence fighters has come out of the jungle in East Timor and offered to work with international peacekeepers to restore order to the territory. Some of the rebels had not been in the capital for decades.
- COHEN / INDONESIA Voice of America 30 September 1999 -- Defense Secretary William Cohen says the Indonesian government realizes the success of the country may hinge on how Jakarta deals with the crisis in East Timor. Mr. Cohen's comments followed meetings with Indonesia's president and military chief. Mr. Cohen called the reaction to his meetings "positive."
- Text: Special Envoy Briefs Congress on Congo Peace Efforts USIA 30 September 1999 -- Ambassador Howard Wolpe, U.S. special envoy to the Great Lakes region,briefed Congress September 21 about ongoing peace efforts to stop thewar in Congo/Kinshasa.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 30 September 1999 -- Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says Russian ground troops are operating inside Chechnya, three years after Moscow withdrew forces from the region in defeat. Chechen officials are threatening to strike back if Russia mounts a full-scale invasion.
- JAPAN / AUM CULT Voice of America 30 September 1999 -- A former member of the Aum Shinri Kyoreligious cult was sentenced to death Thursday. 35-year old Masato Yokoyama is the first person to receive the death penalty for the 1995 Tokyo subway attack that killed 12 people.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|