27 August 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- JASSM lifts off at White Sands Missile Range Air Armament Center Public Affairs 27 Aug 1999 -- The Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile flight test was successfully conducted Aug. 12 at White Sands Missile Range, N.M. The flawless unpowered test indicates a problem with the missile's electrical system experienced during the missile's first flight test April 8 has been remedied.
- Boeing To Demonstrate Advanced Communications Capabilities At JEFX '99 Boeing 27 Aug 1999 -- Boeing is playing a major role in the U.S. Air Force-sponsored Joint Expeditionary Forces Experiment (JEFX '99) by supplying and integrating key pieces of an overall communications architecture that is being demonstrated on board several aircraft.
- 27 August 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 27 Aug 1999
- EAST TIMOR GETS TO CHOOSE Voice of America 27 August 1999 -- The island of Timor, part of the Indonesian archipelago, is very much back in this news these days as half the island's population prepares for a critical and historic vote on Monday.
- EAST TIMOR / VIOLENCE Voice of America 27 August 1999 -- The United Nations representative in East Timor is blaming Indonesian authorities for failing to control violence by armed militias who oppose possible separation from Jakarta.
- E - TIMOR RESOLUTION Voice of America 27 August 1999 -- At the United Nations (today/Friday), the Security Council voted to extend the U-N mission in East Timor until the end of November.
- PRESS BRIEFING BY SECRETARY-GENERAL'S BALKANS ENVOY United Nations 27 Aug 1999
- U-N / AFGHANISTAN Voice of America 26 August 1999 -- The United Nations Refugee Agency, U-N-H-C-R, reports an estimated 160-thousand people have fled the recent upsurge of fighting in northeastern Afghanistan. People displaced by fighting between Taleban soldiers and opposition troops are scattered in different areas of the country.
- U-N - AFGHAN DEBATE At the United Nations Friday, the Security Council held a day-long debate on the situation in Afghanistan.
- VENEZUELA CLASH Voice of America 27 August 1999 -- Violent clashes erupted outside the Capitol building in Caracas Friday - injuring several people. At issue is a political battle over reforms and re- writing Venezuela's constitution.
- TERRORISM IN ASIA Voice of America RUSSIA / DAGESTAN (S) Voice of America 27 August 1999 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has made an unscheduled visit to the southern Dagestan region where troops are mopping up after an operation to crush a Muslim insurgency.
- KYRGYZ HOSTAGES Voice of America 27 August 1999 -- Kyrgyzstan has appealed to Russia for special equipment to help in a battle with an estimated one- thousand gunmen who are holding hostages in a remote region along the Kyrgyz border with Tajikistan. The government of neighboring Uzbekistan also is supporting the Kyrgyz military effort.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|