13 August 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 13 August 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 13 Aug 1999
- PRESS BRIEFING BY CHAIRMAN OF PREPARATORY COMMISSION FOR INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT United Nations 13 Aug 1999
- EAST TIMOR TALKS / L-O Voice of America 13 August 1999 -- One day before the start of East Timor's political campaign period, the United Nations has announced a new effort to try to insure peace after the vote.
- ETHIOPIA / ERITREA Voice of America 13 August 1999 -- Regional mediators trying to the end the war between Ethiopia and Eritrea now face a spread of the conflict to Somalia. Ethiopia says Eritrea is arming Somali rebels.
- RUSSIA / DAGESTAN (L-ALT) Voice of America 13 August 1999 -- Acting Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says Russia has launched a massive operation to retake territory seized by Islamic rebels in the mountainous northern Caucasus republic of Dagestan. The operation will also include sorties into the breakaway Chechnya region.
- NAMIBIA / RIGHTS (L-ONLY Voice of America 13 August 1999 -- The Namibian Government has admitted its security forces committed human-rights abuses in the troubled Caprivi Strip region following an attack there by separatist rebels.
- ANGOLA / KILLINGS Voice of America 13 August 1999 -- In Angola, authorities say they have uncovered evidence of new mass killings allegedly committed by the UNITA rebel movement near the besieged provincial capital of Cuito.
- COLOMBIA - SATIRIST MURDER Voice of America 13 August 1999 -- In Colombia, the best-known political humorist in the country was gunned down Friday(today). In a country where people are hardened to massacres and mass kidnappings, the assassination of the 39-year old satirist has shaken even the most skeptical Colombian.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|