12 August 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- JASSM Gets Off Ground Successfully AAC Public Affairs, Eglin AFB A successful flight test of Eglin's Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile was conducted Aug 12 at White Sands Missile Range, N.M. The flawless unpowered test indicates that the problem with the electrical system experienced during the missile's first flight test on April 8 has been remedied.
- JASSM Flies Through Maneuvering Flight test Lockheed Martin 12 Aug 1999 -- Lockheed Martin's Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM) flew today, maneuvering high above the New Mexico desert under control of its on-board computer.
- 12 August 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 12 Aug 1999
- EAST TIMOR - INDONESIA Voice of America 12 August 1999 -- The Indonesian government has agreed to a plan to reinforce the U-N presence in East Timor. The decision by the Indonesian government comes amid talks with the U- N and East Timor's former colonial ruler, Portugal.
- U-S / EAST TIMOR Voice of America 12 August 1999 -- The United States has accused Indonesian officials and anti-independence militia leaders in East Timor of trying to intimidate voters ahead of the upcoming independence vote in the territory.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF YUGOSLAVIA United Nations 12 Aug 1999
- RUSSIA / DAGESTAN Voice of America 12 August 1999 -- Russian military chiefs are making plans for a massive air campaign to crush a Muslim insurgency in the northern Caucasus. The rebels have shot down another Russian helicopter and appear to be holding their own.
- WORLD OPINION ROUNDUP: MORE CAUCASUS TROUBLE ANDANOTHER PRIME MINISTER IN MOSCOW Voice of America 12 August 1999 -- Another budding civil war in an Islamic republic in southern Russia's Caucasus region and yet another swing of the revolving door at the Kremlin that brings in a new prime minister in Moscow highlight global press comment this week.
- PRESS BRIEFING BY UNDER SECRETARY-GENERAL FOR HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS AND EMERGENCY RELIEF COORDINATOR United Nations 12 Aug 1999
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|