05 August 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 5 August 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 05 Aug 1999
- Text: U.S. State Department Statement on Violence in Aceh Province USIA 05 August 1999 -- U.S. State Department spokesman James Rubin released a statement August 5 expressing the United States' deep concern about "the rising tide of violence" in the Indonesian province of Aceh which he said has claimed more than a hundred lives and has caused tens of thousands of Acehnese to flee their homes in recent months.
- TURKEY - OCALAN Voice of America 05 August 1999 -- Members of the Kurdistan Workers Party -- or P-K-K -- say they will comply with their condemned leader's call to stop fighting for Kurdish self rule and withdraw their forces from Turkish territory.
- CONGO BOMBING (L-ONLY Voice of America 05 August 1999 -- Democratic Republic of Congo rebel leader Jean-Pierre Bemba says the death toll in a bombing raid in northern Congo on Wednesday has risen to at least 524. Rebel leaders say the bombing has dimmed hopes for peace to end the country's year-long war.
- AFGHAN - FIGHTING Voice of America 05 August 1999 -- In Afghanistan, the Taleban say they have lost the airbase at Bagram to opposition fighters and have been forced back to the positions they held over a week ago - before the start of their summer offensive.
- PRESS BRIEFING ON ENVIRONMENTAL SITUATION IN BALKANS United Nations 05 Aug 1999
- EDITORIAL: COLOMBIA'S FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM Voice of America 05 August 1999 -- The Voice of America presents differing points of view on a wide variety of issues. Next, an editorial expressing the policies of the United States Government:
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|