03 August 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 3 August 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 03 Aug 1999
- SIERRA LEONE Voice of America 03 August 1999 -- Eight years of civil conflict in (the West African country of) Sierra Leone came to an end nearly a month ago (on July 7) with the signing of a peace agreement between the Government and the rebel "Revolutionary United Front".
- OCALAN - TURKEY Voice of America 03 August 1999 -- Imprisoned Kurdish rebel chief Abdullah Ocalan has called for members of his outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party, the P-K-K, to lay down their arms and withdraw outside the borders of Turkey for what he termed -- the sake of peace.
- RUSSIA CLASH Voice of America 03 August 1999 -- Twelve people have been killed in a gun battle between Russian police and guerrillas from the breakaway Chechnya region.
- ALGERIA REFERENDUM Voice of America 03 August 1999 -- Officials in Algeria are appealing for a high voter turnout next month in a national referendum about a peace deal with Islamic militants.
- AFGHAN FIGHTING Voice of America 03 August 1999 -- says Afghanistan's Taleban movement has pushed its forces to the mouth of the opposition's stronghold asfighting continues in the country.
- NAMIBIA POLITICS Voice of America 03 August 1999 -- The insurgents are believed to be aligned to the Caprivi Liberation Front which is demanding independence for the Caprivi Strip.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|