The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

DATE=4/19/99 TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT NUMBER=2-248325 TITLE=CONGO / ACCORD (L-ONLY) BYLINE=JOHN PITMAN DATELINE=ABIDJAN CONTENT= VOICED AT: INTRO: CONGOLESE PRESIDENT LAURENT KABILA SAYS AN INTERNATIONAL MILITARY OBSERVER MISSION COULD BE IN PLACE ALONG CONGO'S EASTERN BORDERS WITHIN A MATTER OF DAYS. THE OBSERVERS WOULD MONITOR THE WITHDRAWAL OF FOREIGN TROOPS FROM THE CONGO'S NINE-MONTH-OLD CIVIL WAR. MR. KABILA MADE HIS REMARKS IN A BRIEF INTERVIEW WITH KINSHASA'S STATE TELEVISION NETWORK MONDAY AFTERNOON. V-O-A'S JOHN PITMAN MONITORED THE BROADCAST FROM OUR WEST AFRICA BUREAU, AND FILED THIS REPORT. TEXT: AFTER POSTPONING A MAJOR NATIONAL ADDRESS FOR 24 HOURS BECAUSE OF FATIGUE, PRESIDENT KABILA SAT DOWN WITH THE STATE TELEVISION NETWORK ON MONDAY AFTERNOON TO PROVIDE THE FIRST DETAILS ABOUT THE PEACE AGREEMENT HE SIGNED ON SUNDAY IN LIBYA WITH UGANDAN PRESIDENT YOWERI MUSEVENI. MR. KABILA SAID HIS MEETING WITH PRESIDENT MUSEVENI HAD BEEN A SUCCESS. HIS DISCUSSIONS WITH THE UGANDAN LEADER WERE, IN HIS WORDS, "SERIOUS." DURING THE 10 MINUTE INTERVIEW, CONGOLESE STATE TELEVISION BROADCAST SEVERAL PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE TWO PRESIDENTS SMILING AND SHAKING HANDS. // OPT // LIBYAN LEADER MUAMMAR GADDAFI HOSTED THE MINI-SUMMIT BETWEEN THE CONGOLESE AND UGANDAN LEADERS DURING THE WEEKEND IN THE LIBYAN TOWN OF SIRTE, 450 KILOMETERS EAST OF TRIPOLI. THE PRESIDENTS OF CHAD AND ERITREA ALSO TOOK PART IN THE SUMMIT. CHAD CURRENTLY HAS TROOPS IN THE CONGO SUPPORTING PRESIDENT KABILA. // END OPT // THE PEACE AGREEMENT CALLS FOR A CEASE-FIRE AND WITHDRAWAL OF ALL FOREIGN TROOPS FROM THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO. CURRENTLY, HALF A DOZEN COUNTRIES HAVE SOLDIERS IN THE CONGO, EITHER SUPPORTING THE REBELLION IN EASTERN CONGO, OR FIGHTING ALONGSIDE PRESIDENT KABILA'S ARMY. ACCORDING TO MR. KABILA, PRESIDENT MUSEVENI SAID HE WAS READY TO BEGIN PULLING UGANDAN TROOPS OUT OF THE CONGO -- ALTHOUGH HE ALSO EXPRESSED CONCERN ABOUT THE CONTINUING PRESENCE OF HUTU REBELS IN THE BORDER ZONE. ON MONDAY, PRESIDENT KABILA SAID A TEAM OF MILITARY OBSERVERS FROM LIBYA AND ERITREA COULD BEGIN DEPLOYING ALONG CONGO'S EASTERN BORDER WITH UGANDA WITHIN 15 DAYS, TO MONITOR THE UGANDAN PULL-OUT. IT REMAINS UNCLEAR IF THE LIBYAN AND ERITREAN OBSERVERS WILL ALSO EVENTUALLY WORK IN AREAS ALONG CONGO'S BORDER WITH RWANDA. THE RWANDAN GOVERNMENT IS THE REBELLION'S PRINCIPAL FOREIGN SUPPORTER. FOR THEIR PART, BOTH RWANDA AND THE REBELS HAVE DISMISSED THE ACCORD SIGNED IN LIBYA, SAYING IT IS NOT BINDING, SINCE THEY WERE NOT PART OF THE NEGOTIATIONS. PRESIDENT KABILA SAYS ANOTHER MEETING OF REGIONAL LEADERS WILL BE HELD IN THE COMING DAYS TO NEGOTIATE WHAT HE CALLS "A DEFINITIVE" PEACE WITH THE WAR'S OTHER PROTAGONISTS, WHO WERE NOT IN LIBYA. MR. KABILA ADDS, HOWEVER, THAT WHILE HIS GOVERNMENT IS PREPARED TO TALK PEACE, IT WILL ALSO CONTINUE THE WAR AGAINST THE REBELS AND THEIR FOREIGN BACKERS. THE IMPORTANT THING, HE SAYS, IS TO FORCE THE AGGRESSORS OUT OF THE CONGO. /// REST OPT /// MR. KABILA'S PLEDGE TO TALK PEACE WHILE CONTINUING THE WAR COMES AS HIS GOVERNMENT PREPARES TO HOLD WHAT IS BEING CALLED A "NATIONAL DEBATE" LATER THIS MONTH, IN ITALY. THE DEBATE IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN IN ROME ON APRIL 30TH, AND CONTINUE A WEEK LATER IN KENYA. ALL OF THE CONGO'S WARRING FACTIONS ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND. (SIGNED) NEB/JP/WTW 19-Apr-99 5:03 PM EDT (2103 UTC) NNNN Source: Voice of America .





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list