Voorheesville, NY Storage Site
Guiderland Center, NY 12085
The Voorheesville Depot at the former Schenectady Army Depot - Voorheesville Area (SADVA), is currently owned by the GSA and is operated by the DLA/DNSC under the National Stockpile Program. Metallurgical ores and materials necessary for manufacturing defense materials, or materials used in national defense are stored on-site. The metals stored at the site are detected in soils and sediments at concentrations above the applicable criteria and background ranges. The primary transport mechanism is sediment suspended in storm water runoff. Measures should be taken to control the off-site migration of contaminated sediment and soils. The planned reconstruction and expansion of the on-site retention ponds and the possible minimization of inflow of storm water from Route 201 should reduce the potential for off-site migration of contaminated sediments. Once the site use for stockpiling metals and ores has ended, on-site surface soils will need to be covered or remediated if the future site use is to be unrestricted.
The Voorheesville Depot is situated adjacent to the southwest corner of the SADVA. The Voorheesville Depot currently consists entirely of outdoor storage of strategic metals. The facility occupies approximately 35.5 acres has three buildings: a storage garage, a guard trailer and an administration trailer. There are three workers typically present on-site; a contract security guard and two DLA workers.
SADVA is located south of NYS Route 146 and east of County Route 201, approximately one-quarter mile southeast of the Village of Guilderland Center, New York. The site is approximately 3 miles north of Voorheesville and 3 miles west of Guilderland. The former SADVA included approximately 650 acres, most of which was surrounded by a chain-link fence topped with barbed wire. A separate tract of approximately 40 acres, located west of Route 201, was also included in the former SADVA. The former SADVA was primarily a warehouse and storage complex set on leveled and paved grounds. The area south of the SADVA warehouse complex borders NYSDEC Wetland V-19 and contains Voorheesville Depot.
The DoD held ownership of the SADVA property from 1941 until 1969. The site was originally constructed as a regulating station and a holding and reconsignment point in 1941, and later it became a general Army depot. The principal mission of the installation was the receipt, storage, maintenance, and distribution of supply items for the Department of the Army (DOA). Prior to construction of the facility in 1941, the land use was agricultural.
In 1969 SADVA was closed, and 35.5 acres were transferred to the U.S. General Services Administration. This parcel is the active Defense Logistics Agency/Defense National Stockpile Center (DLA/ DNSC) Voorheesville Depot located adjacent to the southwest portion of the former SADVA. The rest of the SADVA property was sold to the Town of Guilderland Urban Renewal Agency (GURA). GURA, in turn, leased the property to the Galesi Group, Inc., which established the Northeast Industrial Park, or NEIP. NEIP has been operated as an industrial park since 1969. Various open spaces and buildings are leased to tenants. The majority of the tenants (approximately 95 percent) have used the leased space for storage of goods.
The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is conducting work at the site, under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites (DERP-FUDS). DERP-FUDS is a federal program to investigate and clean up any environmental conditions resulting from the Department of Defense's (DoD's) past activities at installations that have since been transferred to private ownership.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|