From July 1918 to January 1996 the Varnum Armory in East Greenwich housed units from the Rhode Island State and National Guard. Built in 1913 and completed in 1914, the Varnum Continentals had the Armory built in the Medieval architectural style. The building located at 6 Main Street in East Greenwich is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This brick building has remained in perfect condition.
The Varnum Memorial Armory in East Greenwich, Rhode Island is the headquarters of the Varnum Continentals, a Revoluntary War re-enactment group. The Varnum Continentals are named after Major General James Mitchell Varnum, commander of one of George Washington's Continental Army Brigades. Varnum was later Major General in command of the entire Rhode Island Militia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|