Telecomunications & Information Systems Command
Many know that the Telecommunication and Information Systems Command is located near the nation's capital, but few realize the historic background of TISCOM. Known as "Hayfield" Virginia, the land was once part of George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate.
Lund Washington, George's third cousin, acquired Hayfield Farm in 1762. The Hayfield Farm Mansion was completely planned and built by George Washington. The Farm was passed down through several owners during the 19th century. The mansion burned down while the property was owned by the Mennonite College of the Brethren.
In 1939, the land was split with part going to the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard Washington Radio Station, known as NMH, the "voice of the Commandant", was then moved from nearby Fort Hunt Reservation to Hayfield.
Shortly afterwards, the Electronic Engineering Laboratory was established to test submarine cables and grind crystals. During postwar years, responsibilities increased to evaluate new electronics equipment and modify existing equipment for Coast Guard use.
The U.S. Coast Guard Ceremonial Honor Guard was formed to provide the high level of ceremonial performance required in a timely manner. The Honor Guard was established at the Coast Guard Yard in 1962. It was moved to Washington Radio Station in 1965, as a major activity of the Command.
Coast Guard Washington Radio Station was disestablished in 1976 and the unit was renamed Coast Guard Station Alexandria. On 11 September 1988, we became the Coast Guard Information Systems Center. On 7 April 1993, we reorganized and became the Telecommunication and Information Systems Command.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|