Allen C. Thompson Field (Jackson IAP)
The 172d Airlift Wing is located at Allen C. Thompson Field (Jackson IAP) in Jackson, Mississippi. Thompson Field is in Rankin County, Mississippi. The Air National Guard facility is named after Charles L. Sullivan, the former Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi and long time member and pilot in the 172d. The base covers about 97 acres of land and contains 33 facility buildings.
The 172d Airlift Wing has a primary strategic airlift mission and secondary aerial evacuation mission with their two flying squadrons, the 183d Airlift Squadron and 183d Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron. The C-141B Starlifter is flown by each unit to accomplish these missions. The Wing is complemented by support units including maintenance, logistics, personnel, finance, medical, communications, security police, and civil engineering. The 172d is a component of the 21st Air Force and is ultimately under the Air Mobility Command. The unit has grown from 102 officers and airmen in 1953 to 1,140 today.
In June of 1941, Hawkins Field at Jackson, MS was designated an Army Air Base. The facility was used as a pilot training center through January 1949, at which time it reverted to civilian aviation status. In 1953, the Mississippi Air National Guard returned to certain facilities at Hawkins Field. The 172d original designation was the 183d Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron. The unit was assigned eighteen B-26 aircraft as well as a few C-47s. In 1957, Six Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcars replaced the B-26.
In April of 1961, construction of the present ANG base began. In July 1962, the C-121 Lockheed Super Constellation arrived in Jackson. In 1964, the 183d was reorganized and redesignated the 172d Air Transport Group. In 1966, the C-124 Globemaster was assigned to Mississippi Air Guard. In 1967, the 172d flew the 1000 th support mission into South Vietnam. In 1969, the ANG responded to the emergency created by Hurricane Camille. Also in 1969, the unit provided maximum force airlift in Southeast Asia.
In November of 1995, it was announced that six operational C-17 aircraft would be assigned to the 172d Airlift Wing. This new aircraft assignment will require the Jackson ANG to acquire 39 more acres of leased land at the airport, as well as construct new facilities by 2004 to support the C-17 planes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|