Strassburg Kaserne, Germany
Strassburg Kaserne is home to the 40th Engineer Battalion. Strassburg is located adjacent to the village of Algenrodt, a part of the city of Idar-Oberstein. It is approximately seven miles from Nahbollenbach Army Depot. Troop billeting and housing area for military personnel and family members are found at Strassburg Kaserne. Today, the Strassburg Combined Club has replaced what once was an indoor riding hall; the Chapel was another such hall. The Veterinary facilities were converted to the Youth Activities Center. The Artillery troops left the Kaserne in 1940, when several units which provided infantry replacements took their place. In March 1945, the US Army occupied the Kaserne, utilizing it as a civilian internment camp. In July 1945, the Kaserne was turned over to the French Army and renamed Jeanne D'Arc (Joan of Arc) Kaserne. The French established an artillery school there. In 1951, the Kaserne returned to the American Army and was renamed Strassburg Kaserne. An extensive rehabilitation program for the Kaserne was completed in 1952, leaving the buildings as they now appear. In July 1995, the 6/29th Field Artillery unit relocated to CONUS. The community still serves as a home for many families who resides in its housing areas. Other facilities remaining include a Commissary, Child Development Center, and a mini-commissary and shoppette.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|