US Southern Command Headquarters
The United States Southern Command (SouthCom) relocated its headquarters building to Dade County, Florida in 1997. The new headquarters is located 4 miles west of the Miami Airport at 3511 NW 91st Street in the WestPoint Business Park, and was completed in August of 1997. Approximately 850 personnel occupy the 154,848 sq. ft. building.
In anticipation of the service members, civilians, and their families making the move to Miami, SouthCom established a Miami Reception Center (MRC) near the Miami Airport. The Miami Reception Center holds the offices of Housing, Tricare, Civilian Personnel, Family Support Services, and MWR. Personnel arriving at the Miami Airport can reach the center within 10 minutes.
Since 1904, the Southern Command and its predecessor, the Caribbean Command, have been located at Quarry Heights, Panama. The U.S. military presence in Panama has had a colorful history as a Joint Operation from World War II through Operation Just Cause in 1989, when President Manuel Noriega was captured. Pursuant to the terms of the Panama Canal Treaty, all U.S. Forces are required to depart the Republic of Panama by 31 December 1999. The President of the United States announced in March 1995 that the Headquarters, US Southern Command would lead the departure and relocate to the South Florida area.
The United States Southern Command provides operational command and control for all U.S. land, sea, and air activities in the Southern Hemisphere, and, effective July 1997, the Caribbean. This change increases Southcom's area of operation from 6 million to 9.5 million square miles.
The move of SouthCom headquarters to Miami greatly enhanced mission effectiveness, including the opportunity to establish a state-of-the-art Command, Control, Computer, and Intelligence (C4I) network, integrating the new Global Command and Control System.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|