Shepherd AGS (ANG)
Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport
Shepherd AGS (ANG) is located at the Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport, 4 miles south of Martinsburg, WV. The installation consists of approximately 205 acres and 34 buildings totaling 347,441 square feet. During peak surges, the installation population is approximately 1500 personnel.
The Air National Guard designated the State of West Virginia as the resident state for the 167th Fighter Squadron. On 24 May 1946, Charleston's Kanawha Airport became the home base for the renamed 167th Fighter Squadron. Early aircraft included the T-6 Trainer, the P-47 Thunderbolt and the P-51Mustang. The name, mission, size and even the site changed over the next 40 years, but the numbers "167" have remained constant with the West Virginia Air National Guard.
In 1995, the unit began conversion training for the C-130H-3 in the first quarter and transferred most of the "E" models to Peoria, Illinois. The Civil Engineers deployed to Panama and the Medical Squadron deployed to Honduras. Most of the sections took part in a deployment to Alpena, Michigan in September where chemical exercises and other special training took place. The unit celebrated its 40th anniversary on 10 June 1995. The 167th Airlift Group was redesignated the 167th Airlift Wing on 1 October 1995 and currently uses C-130H-3 aircraft to perform its airlift mission.
Its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to realign Yeager Airport AGS by relocating flying-related expeditionary combat support (ECS) to Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport/Shepherd Field AGS (aerial port and fire fighters). The major command's capacity briefing reported that Yeager AGS could not support more than eight C-130s.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|