Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco
Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco is based in San Francisco, California at the San Francisco Intl. Airport (KSFO). CGAS San Francisco operates four HH-65A "Dolphin" helicopters off the Coast Guard ramp.
The Coast Guard Air Station, San Francisco, located on property adjacent to San Francisco International Airport - then known as Mills Field - was established in the winter of 1940/41, and uses the airport's runways. The station was formally dedicated on February 15, 1941. The first official patrol flight was over San Francisco Bay. Lt. George H. Bowerman was the first commanding officer of the Air Station. In April of 1942, the station was assigned to the operational command of Commander, Western Sea Frontier, U.S. Navy. The planes attached to Air Station were then considered and treated as a Squadron Command, under the Commander of the Air Task Group of the Frontier for all operations. At the end of the Second World War, the station was released from the Navy and continued as a Coast Guard Search and Rescue unit.
Buildings on the station include: one hanger, one nose hanger, one barracks, one administration building with an enclosed infirmary, BOQ, supply building, boathouse, and a few small support structures.
As of April 1974 aircraft assigned to the station included: four HH-52A amphibious turbine helicopters, two HUl6E amphibious fixed wing aircraft, and three HC-130B long-range turbo prop fixed wing aircraft. However, the station was, at that time, scheduled to receive one AOSS aircraft during the year and all HC130B aircraft were to be replaced by "H" models June 1, 1974. The station also maintained a 30-foot utility boat.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|