Seattle ANGB, WA
King County International Airport
The Seattle ANGB is located 1/4 of a mile off Interstate 5, at the North West corner of Boeing Field.
King County International Airport, commonly known as Boeing Field, celebrated its 70th anniversary in 1998. Located near the Duwamish River in Seattle, Washington, the Airport is in an area originally serving as a trade route for native Americans.
The Airport is at the site of the homes of the original settlers who arrived in King County led by pioneer Luther Collins the late 1850s. In the early 1900s, the Duwamish valley floor, an estuary, was transformed by major development projects. The winding course of the Duwamish River was straightened and the tideflats filled. In the mid-1920s, lobbying to build a municipal airport began. The Duwamish valley floor was a promising site because it was one of the few large flat areas close to the downtown business and industrial areas.
In November, 1927, the King County Commissioners approved $500,000 to buy a site for the Airport. In 1928, by an 86% "yes" vote, County voters approved a plan to spend $400,000 more to construct and equip the Airport. The Airport was named for Bill Boeing, founder of the Boeing Company, which at that time was based in a former boatyard along the Duwamish River. Today, the Airport remains the headquarters of the Boeing Company, the largest aircraft manufacturer in the world and the largest employer in the State of Washington.
The Airport served as the community's aviation center through the early growth years of aviation, providing a base for passenger and transport services and for recreational flying clubs. On December 6, 1941, just one day prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the US Army took command of the Airport for strategic and production reasons. Through the end of World War II, the Airport remained under military jurisdiction, while the Boeing Company produced more than 10,000 B-17 and B-29 "Flying Fortress" bombers which were instrumental in achieving the end of the War.
The Boeing Company's production at the Airport during World War II transformed the Seattle area economically and socially. Aircraft manufacturing became the region's leading industry, employing as many as 44,000 people, including the first racially and gender-integrated workforce.
In the late 1940's, the Airport was reopened for passenger and other commercial traffic and evolved into its current role as a general aviation airport used for industrial, business and recreational purposes with the opening of Sea-Tac International Airport in 1947.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|