Defense National Stockpile Center Scotia, NY
Route 5/Amsterdam Road, Building 12
Scotia, NY 12302-7463
GSA plans to sell the remaining federal property at the Scotia site within the next 20 years. To date the Scotia depot has sold or converted nearly 277 acres of the original 337-acre depot. The current depot encompasses approximately 60 acres. The former Navy Depot on Amsterdam Road in Glenville was commissioned in 1943 to store strategic materials for national defense purposes. In 1999, the DLA/DNSC decided to investigate the remaining Navy property in the depot area, following the direction of its landlord, the General Services Administration. Soil and water contamination has been linked to past dumping practices by the military. In 1991, regulators discovered toxic levels of TCE, or trichloroethylene, in residential wells located on Amsterdam Road - Route 5 - across from the old depot. Traces of the suspected carcinogen also turned up in the Schenectady and Rotterdam water supplies serving nearly 140,000 people.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|