Salt Lake City International Airport
Salt Lake City (SLC) is located in north central Utah immediately southeast of the Great Salt Lake. The Utah Air National Base (UTANG) lies within the boundary of the Salt Lake City International Airport (SLCIAP) along a portion of the eastern segment of the SLCIAP. The airport is owned by the city and base property is leased. The UTANG Base is home to the 151st Air Refueling Wing and occupies approximately 135 acres of the SLCIAP's five square miles of land. Their mission is to organize, train, and equip KC-135 aircraft personnel to provide in-flight refueling support on a worldwide basis and be prepared to respond to state emergencies and natural disasters. The base has a total 63 buildings: 3 services, 13 administrative, and 47 industrial buildings, amounting to approximately 407,000 square feet. There are 255 full-time personnel and 1,343 personnel during the once a month unit training assemblies. There are several new construction and demolition projects in progress or in the planning stages to modernize the base and remove vintage 1943 buildings. These projects include construction of a composite operations and training/squadron operations complex, an aircraft maintenance facility; a base supply complex and a new fire station: When all construction is complete the base will net approximately 99,759 square feet of new facility space with no increase of personnel.
The only air carrier facility in the state of Utah, Salt Lake City International Airport is located five miles northwest of downtown Salt Lake City. The airfield consists of three air carrier runways and a general aviation runway. Runway 16L/34R is 12,003 feet long, runway 16R/34L is 12,000 feet long, runway 17/35 is 9,596 feet long and runway 14/32 is 5,295 feet long. There are two terminals, five concourses (A-E) and 70 aircraft gates. General aviation facilities including fixed base operators are located on the east side of the airfield. Cargo companies are clustered south of the complex with the exception of United Parcel Service, which is north of the terminal buildings.
In 1920 Salt Lake City purchased 100 acres surrounding the landing strip for $40.00 per acre. The resulting airfield was named "Woodward Field," after local pilot John P. Woodward. In 1930 Woodward Field was renamed "Salt Lake City Municipal Airport." It consisted of 400 acres, 11 hangars and two gravel runways. In 1943 the airport became a training base and replacement depot for the U.S. Air Force. Salt Lake city Municipal Airport II was built at the southwest end of the Salt Lake Valley to accommodate the number of trainees.
The airport was renamed the "Salt Lake City International Airport" in 1968.
From 1975 to 1980 the airport grew to 7,500 acres. In 1978 Terminal Two was completed to house Western Airlines. A new Executive Terminal was also completed that year on the east side of the airport to serve general aviation needs and house various agencies. The west runway and taxiway systems were extended. A third air carrier runway, Concourse E and the International Terminal were completed in 1995.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|