Defense Depot Ogden
The former Defense Depot Ogden is located on 1,128 acres at 1200 South and Tomlinson Road, along the original right-of-way of the Central Pacific Railroad in the northern portion of the City of Ogden. It was originally activated as the Utah General Depot on September 15, 1941. Prior to 1941, the areas was irrigated farmland and pasture.
The property was owned by the Army and operated by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), an agency of the Department of Defense (DOD). It provided logistics support including procurement and supply, contract administration and other services to military installations, other DOD agencies and to federal civil agencies. The mission included the receipt, storage, maintenance, inventory and issue of items that include food, clothing, textiles, packages, petroleum products, pesticides, pressurized gases and general medical, industrial, construction and electronic supplies.
DDOU was selected for closure by the Secretary of Defense and listed in the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1995. The Depot ceased its mission on September 30, 1997. The facility is currently under the management of the Hill Air Force Base (HAFB) DLA and referred to as the Defense Depot Hill Utah (DDHU) Ogden Site. In 1995, the City of Ogden appointed a committee to direct development and transition the facility into new uses, including a commercial park. The Ogden Local Redevelopment Authority (OLRA) works to ensure that the City of Ogden's DDOU Reuse Plan is properly implemented.
Most of the previous functions of the facility have been relocated. The three uses remained are the IRS Operations which have a major facility on the site, a U.S. Army Reserves enclave and a Deployable Medical Systems (DEPMEDS) mission for the DOD. The DEPMEDS mission refurbishes and supplies medical units to the DOD and employs about 250 people when fully operational. It continued operations until the year 2002 when it moved to HAFB.
As a result of past management practices regarding the disposal of hazardous materials and waste, the facility was placed on the National Priorities List of contaminated sites to be remediated in compliance with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA). A Federal Facilities Agreement (FFA) between the State, the EPA and the Army was signed in 1989. Corrective action of contaminated groundwater and soils is ongoing with investigation of many of the CERCLA, RCRA and BRAC contaminated sites complete.
On May 10, 1993, the Utah Solid and Hazardous Waste Control Board issued a RCRA Part-B operating permit to the Depot to store up to 2,328, 55-gallon drums of equivalent containers of hazardous materials or hazardous waste in its Conforming Storage Building. DDOU discontinued use and closed the building in 1997. In 1998, the permit was modified to delete reference to hazardous waste permitted storage at the facility.
In 1998 and January 1999, two Finding of Suitability to Transfer (FOST) documents were developed and approved by the State of Utah, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of the Army. These FOSTs have allowed the transfer of 544 acres of uncontaminated property to the OLRA. The development of additional FOSTs is ongoing. All FOSTs undergo a 30-day public review and comment period and public comments are addressed before a FOST is approved.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|