North Locust Point Marine Terminal
Various Military Sealift Command ships in Ready Reserve Force status were moored at the North Locust Point Marine Terminal during the mid-1990s. These included the vehicle cargo ship USNS WILLIAM M. CALLAGHAN (T0-AKR-1001), the C-3-S-37c type cargo ships CAPE CATOCHE (T-AK-5043) and CAPE CARTHAGE (T-AK-5042), and the C-5-S-78a type aviation logistic ship USNS WRIGHT (T-AVE-3).
Over the past century, North Locust Point has adapted and changed to meet the varied needs of the port. It has welcomed immigrants, served as a cargo pier for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and handled many different types of breakbulk and liquid and drybulk cargoes. The 90-acre (36.1 ha) terminal has been redeveloped to enhance the port's forest products capabilities. The addition of a 45 long ton (45.7 M.T.) container crane, coupled with on-dock rail access, allows for the smooth loading and discharge of steel directly between vessel and rail car. The addition of the container crane boosts the efficiency of the terminal's container operations, while two 75-ton (68 M.T.) gantry cranes provide the heavy-lift capability needed for large breakbulk and project shipments. North Locust Point provides water access for one of the port's grain elevators, and is home to several latex importers. North Locust Point has ample storage capacity. With 19 acres (7.9 ha) of outside space and two sheds with a combined 365,206 square feet (33,275 square meters), North Locust Point can easily accommodate the storage of steel, breakbulk and project cargoes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|