There are two military post (kaserns) in Kitzingen Germany, Harvey Barracks and Larson Barracks.
Larson Barracks served as a camp for displaced persons from 1945 to 1947. From 1947 to 1952, Larson was used as a collection point for German Army trucks to be overhauled and made ready for sale. In May 1962, Larson Barracks was named in honor of Captain Stanley L. Larson, Company C, 10th Engineer Battalion, who was killed while clearing a minefield Anzio Beachhead on 23 May 1944. He was posthumously awarded the distinguish service cross.
The Department of Defense announced on July 29, 2005 plans for the return of eleven Army bases to Germany in fiscal year 2007. Additionally, two other bases were identified for return to Germany in following years. These installation returns were scheduled as part of plans for the 1st Infantry Division headquarters'return to the United States with its divisional flag in the summer of 2006. Additionally, the 1st Infantry Division's subordinate units, as well as selected V Corps and U.S. Army in Europe units, return to the United States, inactivate entirely, convert, or be reassigned in Europe to support Army transformation in fiscal year 2006.
17th Signal Battalion will inactivate
and its personnel authorizations will be used to support the build
of the MFAB in Katterbach and 173rd ABCT in Bamberg.
A Detachment, 106th Finance Battalion
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list