Naval Support Facility Kami Seya
Naval Support Facility Kamiseya, a detachment of NAF Atsugi, is located about six miles northwest of Atsugi. The command mission is to support its tenant commands and base residents. Commander Patrol Wing One/CTF-72/CTF-57 is the primary tenant. The base consists of 587 acres, most of that is farmland located outside the fence line. Schools, medical and dental facilities are located at NAF Atsugi.
Although functionally transferred to NAF Atsugi in Fiscal Year 1995, U.S. Naval Radio Receiving Facility Kami Seya played an important role in the development of present day computer and telecommunications station. During World War II, the site was utilized as a torpedo assembly plant by the Japanese Imperial Navy. After the war, Kami Seya was occupied by U.S. Forces. In 1952, Kami Seya was commissioned as a U.S. Naval Communications Facility, and remained so under various titles until 15 January 1960. On that date, the station became U.S. Naval Security Group Activity, Kami Seya with approximately 1,500 people assigned. Upon disestablishment of the activity on 1 July 1971, U.S. Naval Communications Station, Japan assumed command of the station and became the host command for NRRF Kami Seya and four tenant commands. Even though the site has been functionally transferred, NAVCOMTELSTA Far East retains the BCO which is responsible for 110 official and unofficial customers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|