Haines Fuel Terminal
Early Army Corps of Engineers military construction programs in Alaska included building military forts and air bases in preparation for World War II. When the Alaska District was created in 1946, it received Alaska military construction authority from the War Department. Three years later civil works responsibility came from the Seattle District. The District constructed two military fuel pipelines, one from Haines to Fairbanks in 1955 and another one from Whittier to Anchorage in 1967. The Haines tank farm was built to supply fuel to Eielson AFB (nearly 800 miles away) in 1954.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|