The Fort Myer Military Community (FMMC) includes Fort Myer and Fort McNair (located in Washington D.C.) Fort Myer, Virginia is located in Arlington, VA, on U.S. Route 50 next to the Arlington National Cemetery, adjacent to and west of Washington D.C. The major command is the U.S. Army Military District of Washington (MDW). Within the Fort Myer Military Community, Major Units include the 3rd U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard), 1101st Signal Brigade, HQ, Fort Myer Activities, HHC U.S. Army Garrison, U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command and 501st M.P. Company.
The command's mission is three fold: --First, to respond to crises, disasters or security requirements in the National Capital Region through implementation of various contingency plans. --Second, to provide both base operations and a variety of specialized support to Army and other Defense Department organizations throughout the National Capital Region. Specialized support includes personal property shipping, nationwide fixed-wing airlift and operation of Arlington National Cemetery. --Third, but most visible, to conduct official ceremonies, locally and worldwide, on behalf of the nation's civilian and military leaders.
Fort Myer, sited on hills in Virginia overlooks the Potomac river. Its origin has been traced to the Civil War. The land was confiscated from the Robert E. Lee estate during the Civil War. It's been an important Signal Corp's post, a showcase for Army cavalry, site of the first flight of an aircraft on a military installation and the first military air fatality. Fort Myer has been the home of the Army Chief of Staff for nearly a century and today is home for thousands of soldiers, sailors, and airman working throughout the Military District of Washington and the nation's capital.
The majority of soldiers who work at locations throughout the national capital region are assigned to Headquarters Command. Headquarters Command is the largest, most diverse battalion level command in the United States Army. Located on Fort Myer in Arlington, Virginia, the command is composed of the Fort Myer Military Police Company; Headquarters Company, United States Army; and HHC, United States Army Garrison. The mission of the command is to develop, implement, and enforce Army standards and accountability among the 3,400 assigned and attached soldiers supporting over 140 units and activities located in the National Capital Region and throughout the world. The command provides trained and ready soldiers in support of garrison law enforcement, ceremonial, contingency, and customer-focused support operations for a community of over 14,000 assigned military and civilian personnel, plus 108,000 family members and retirees.
Fort Myer, Va., a Military District of Washington installation on a high bluff overlooking the nation's capital city, is home for some of the armed services' top-ranking officers. The 26 Victorian-style homes that line the streets of the Army post have come to be known as "Generals' Row" since the first was built more than 75 years ago.
The first of the homes at Fort Myer that make up General's Row was Quarters 10A. The home was constructed of stone and brick, with a slate roof and wood floors. Army engineers completed the structure in 1892. In the next 20 years, 19 additional homes of similar design were added to provide suitable housing for senior officers. Between 1932 and 1935, six more houses were built in the same style as the original 20. Today 26 general officers from brigadier to full general reside in the houses along General's Row.
Quarters One, Six, and Seven are of special interest. Quarters One houses the Army chief of staff. Quarters Six is the official residence of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Quarters Seven is the home of the chief of staff of the Air Force.
Quarters One was built in May 1899 at a cost of $18,471. A two-story structure with basement and attic, it contains 21 rooms on a foundation measuring 40 by 54 feet. The first Quarters One occupant on record was Maj. Gen. Charles Humphrey. He occupied the house until 1908, when it was designated the official residence of the Army chief of staff. Maj. Gen. J. Franklin Bell was the first Army chief of staff to live there.
Many of the Army's great leaders have resided in Quarters One. Gen. of the Army Douglas MacArthur lived there from 1930 until 1935. Gen. of the Army George C. Marshall called Quarters One his home during the years of World War II. Gen. of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower followed Marshall into the house and resided there until 1948. Another of the great World War II leaders, Gen. of the Army Omar Bradley, lived in Quarters One until 1953.
Quarters Six was completed in December 1908 at a cost of $19,202. It was originally built as a two-family structure. When it was designated as the home of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff it was remodeled, and is now a one-family residence consisting of 34 rooms.
Quarters Seven, completed in 1909, cost a total of $16,600. The home, which is the home of the Air Force chief of staff, originally had 26 rooms. In the 1950s a wing consisting of two additional rooms was added.
The architect of the houses along General's Row is unknown.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD would realign Henderson Hall, VA, by relocating the installation management functions to Fort Myer, VA, establishing Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, VA.
All installations employed military, civilian, and contractor personnel to perform common functions in support of installation facilities and personnel. All installations executed these functions using similar or near similar processes. Because these installations shared a common boundary with minimal distance between the major facilities or are in near proximity, there was significant opportunity to reduce duplication of efforts with resulting reduction of overall manpower and facilities requirements capable of generating savings, which would be realized by paring unnecessary management personnel and achieving greater efficiencies through economies of scale. Intangible savings would be expected to result from opportunities to consolidate and optimize existing and future service contract requirements. Additional opportunities for savings would also be expected to result from establishment of a single space management authority capable of generating greater overall utilization of facilities and infrastructure. Further savings would be expected to result from opportunities to reduce and correctly size both owned and contracted commercial fleets of base support vehicles and equipment consistent with the size of the combined facilities and supported populations. Regional efficiencies achieved as a result of Service regionalization of installation management would provide additional opportunities for overall savings as the designated installations are consolidated under regional management structures. The quantitative military value score validated by military judgment was the primary basis for determining which installation was designated as the receiving location.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|