Naval Technical Training Center (NTTC), Corry Station, Pensacola, Florida, opened originally in 1923 as an active airfield and training command. In 1960, Corry Station was selected to be the new home for Communications Training (now known as Cryptologic Training). In 1973, Officer and Enlisted Aviation Electronic Warfare and Surface Electronic Warfare training was relocated to Corry from multiple sites. In 1990, Optics and Instrumentation training was relocated to Corry from Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, Illinois. In 1995, Instructor Training relocated from Millington, Tennessee to Corry. Aviation Officer Electronic Warfare training was relocated to Whidbey Island in 1999 and the last vestiges of Optics and Instrumentation training are being phased out.
The mission of NTTC, Corry Station, is to operate and administer assigned schools which provide technical training to military and civilian personnel of the Department of Defense (DOD), selected non-DOD personnel and international military students. The command also administers five remote detachments located in Texas, Arizona, Maryland, and California.
Cryptologic Officers, Administrators, Equipment Maintainers, Communicators, Signals Analysts, and ELINT Analysts are trained. Additionally, Information Technology Systems, Electronic Warfare Operators and Maintainers, and Instructor Training are provided. As DOD Executive Agent for Cryptologic Signals Analysis, basic, intermediate, and advanced Signals Analysis Training, ELINT, and Operational ELINT Training, Corry Station provides training to all military services and performs as course curriculum model manager for any training conducted off site. Interservice consolidated training has been conducted by the command since 1973.
Besides the robust training mission at Corry Station, it is of particular significance that the Naval Security Group Activity (NSGA), which is located on Corry Station, provides worldwide support to Cryptologic Operations.
The Corry Station complex real estate consists of 612.42 acres which are used for the Navy Hospital, Navy Family Housing, Utilities, DOD Commissary/Navy Exchange complex and training facilities. Corry Station Mission and immediate supporting Installation Management (IM) support uses 436.62 acres of this land. Corry training and training support facilities consist of 531,346 GSF in 17 facilities. IM facilities consist of 748,081 GSF that are located in 61 facilities. It is particularly noteworthy that the water wells on Corry Station are one of the major sources of water for NAS Pensacola.
There is considerable capacity to meet additional training mission requirements. The only known capacity limitation is barracks for the single sailor; current capacity is marginal and projected growth may require additional berthing.
NTTC Corry Station Training has a staff of 606 military and 71 appropriated funded civilians, including other service supporting detachments. Approximately 7500 students annually are trained with an average student load of 1400. IM functions on Corry Station are included in the NAS Pensacola summary.
Annual military/civilian salaries and contract expenses are approximately $95,000,000. Current plant value of land and facilities at NTTC Corry is $212,000,000.
The original Corry Field had its beginning in 1923 in a remote area north of Pensacola, with relocation to its present site in 1928. The station honors Medal of Honor winner LCDR William M. Corry Jr., who died as a result of burns received while attempting to rescue a fellow officer from a crashed and burning aircraft. LCDR Corry was one of Naval Aviation's pioneers, having been among the first aviators to receive the Navy's 'Wings of Gold.'
In the beginning, Corry Field was an active aviation training complex where advanced fighter plane techniques were taught. In 1943, the Field was re-designated as Naval Auxiliary Air Station, continuing to serve as a training center for aviators through World War II and during the Korean conflict, until its decommissioning in 1958.
The site saw its metamorphosis from flight training to technical training in 1960, when the first class of communications technicians (later knows as cryptologic technicians) arrived. Hangars were converted to classrooms and laboratories were stocked with sophisticated communications training equipment. To reflect this change, the Chief of Naval Operations changed the name of Corry Field to Naval Technical Training Center, Corry Station in 1973.
Corry was among the first Navy technical schools to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. This accreditation assured that instruction was of the same quality as that offered in the best civilian vocational institutions, and that students may receive college-level credit for completed courses.
By 1982, Corry had become the largest command in the Pensacola Naval Complex and its change from air facility to technical training was reflected by a change of appearance in the form of new buildings and facilities. By 1990, the base had expanded even more to incorporate the Opticalman/Instrumentman School.
Corry graduates over 5400 students annually and is considered one of the Navy's training showplaces, with detachments throughout the United States. NTTC's role has changed over the years, but traditional pride still dwells within the station as it continues to provide the finest and best-trained personnel in the military.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|