Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne (CFK), Germany
Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne (CFK) was built in 1936 and was originally two kasernes. The western part called Cambrai Kaserne named after a tank battle which took place in Cambrai, France during World War I. The eastern part was Fritsch Kaserne named after General Werner von Fritsch, the commanding general of the German Army in 1935. In March 1945, the US Army took over the kaserne. The US Army Quartermaster school was housed here until 1950. Both Kelley Barracks and Ernst Ludwig Kaserne were constructed in 1934 as cavalry barracks.
Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, originally built in the 1930s as two separate casernes (Cambrai Kaserne and Freiherr von Fritsch Kaserne), is the hub of the community and home to Headquarters, 233rd Base Support Battalion, Headquarters, 22nd Signal Brigade and 440th Signal Battalion.
Located on Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne are the Darmstadter Catering Center, the dining facility, non-appropriated fund motorpool, American Red Cross, post exchange (PX), Four Seasons, Shopette, AAFES Food Court, Community Bank, Andrews Federal Credit Union, launderette, U.S. Post office, gym, movie theater, sports field, bowling center, SATO Travel, USO and several other MWR facilities.
The health clinic, dental clinic, Patriot Inn, the Rainbow Club, and the post chapel are located just across from the south gate. The Jefferson Village housing area is also located just outside the south gate of Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne, a 10-minute walk from neighboring Lincoln Village.
Lincoln Village, the largest government housing area in the 233rd BSB, and Santa Barbara Village, the officer and command sergeant major housing area, are only a few minutes drive south of Cambrai-Fritsch Kaserne. Lincoln Village has seen vast improvements over the past several years through renovations and facility improvements. In November of 1999, two housing complexes were completely renovated through the Whole Neighborhood Revitalization Program. This program enables the expansion of selected units while focussing on improving the facilities within each apartment. The Darmstadt Middle School and elementary school, Youth and School Age Services, a newly constructed child development center, and an AAFES gas station are located in the Lincoln Village housing area.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|