Navy Broadway Complex
The main Navy Region Southwest offices are located in downtown San Diego at 937 North Harbor Drive on the corner of North Harbor Drive and Broadway. Parking is available at the Broadway Complex for customers and VIP visitors in front of the building and on the Navy Pier. Metered parking is available adjacent to the Complex as well as several parking lots across the street on Broadway and Pacific Highway.
In May 1999 the Coast Guard conduct the Port of San Diego's first field exercise of the San Diego Port Readiness Committee. The San Diego Port Readiness Committee, led by the Coast Guard and includes military and public agencies, tested its ability to coordinate and provide security during a major military outload. In this exercise, Marine Corps hardware and supplies were moved by rail from Camp Pendleton to the Port of San Diego and were loaded onto the 640-foot Maritime Administration vessel CAPE ISABEL. The US Army Reserve, Military Transportation Management Command out of Meridian, MS marshalled the materials and loaded the vessel.
The Coast Guard Captain of the Port established an exercise security zone to protect the vessel and materials from various staged threats, including terrorist attacks. Coast Guard boat crews applied their recently honed tactical defense skills to maintain waterside security for the vessel while it was being loaded. Lessons learned during this exercise were used to enhance the readiness of the Port Readiness Committee organization and the Port of San Diego to support a military outload.
Two valuable command and communication tools were tried in this exercise, the Boarder Tactical (BORTAC) communications system and the Incident Command System (ICS). BORTAC is a Navy-run system that allows our local military and public service agencies to communicate by radio while using their own standard equipment and frequencies. For instance, using BORTAC, the coxswain of a Coast Guard boat can use his own marine radio and regular frequency to communicate with a Fire Department unit on their standard radios. This was the first Port Readiness Committee exercise using ICS. ICS is a unified approach to managing crisis response operations involving multiple agencies and jurisdictions. It was originally designed for large scale fire-fighting situations but has since been extensively applied any type of emergency including floods, earthquakes, oil spills, fires and even planned events.
USS BENFOLD (DDG 65) joined the Pacific Fleet during commissioning ceremonies on 30 March 1996 at Broadway Pier, San Diego.
As the centerpiece of the San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum, the Midway berthed on the south side of Navy Pier 11A just south of Broadway. The Port of San Diego approved the environmental impact report in April 2001.
In the early 1900s, Pacific Fleet ships routinely anchored in the harbor at the foot of Broadway making it a natural site for a supply depot. In 1922, the Naval Supply Depot, San Diego was formally established. A small pier was constructed and the first materials were moved into the Depot's warehouse in February 1923. The facilities were built on filled-in tideland deeded to the U. S. Government by the city of San Diego in September 1919. The Broadway Pier was constructed in 1913 with a $1.7 million bond issued by the city.
During the 1980s the Navy hoped to build about 1 million square feet of office space on the site of the former 16-acre Naval Supply Depot, a prime piece of real estate between Pacific Highway, Harbor Drive, Broadway and Market Street. The financing for the Navy's new office space was to come from private developers, who would build offices and hotels on the Navy property. But market conditions deteriorated, putting the major development proposal in the deep freeze. Some buildings on the Broadway Complex site have been demolished, but so far, nothing new has replaced them. The Navy is making do with the remaining antiquated office buildings, which are getting a new coat of paint. However the current need is closer to 600,000 square feet. Planners say they will work with the Navy in an effort to provide needed office space within the framework of the emerging North Embarcadero Plan.
As part of a City of San Diego and Navy EIR/EIS program, the proposed redevelopment of the Naval Supply Depot at the foot of Broadway was assessed under Section 106 of the NHPA. The assessment included an architectural/historical survey and recordation of all structures on the Naval Supply Depot that fell within the perimeters of potentially historic buildings. A HABS/HAER analysis was completed for each historic building, resulting in a National Register evaluation of the buildings as well as the facility as a potential historic district. Historic research for the project also identified the potential for the presence of remnants of the shanty town that grew along the waterfront of New Town between the 1860s to 1900, but was buried by dredged sand from the bay when the tidelands were filled and the bulkhead was constructed in the early 1900s. The cultural resources report for the Navy Broadway Complex was jointly reviewed by the Navy, the SHPO, and the City of San Diego for compliance and was accepted. To reduce the effect of the project on cultural resources, a number of measures were proposed, including the preservation of the primary buildings that were historically significant and met the criteria for eligibility to the National Register.
In 1941, the current Navy Pier was built and a south wing added to the original six-story supply depot. A seven-story warehouse was constructed alongside in 1943. That same year, the Depot was assigned management of the La Playa Coaling Station at Point Loma. Built in 1904, La Playa Coaling Station was the first permanent Navy logistics shore establishment in San Diego. By the late 1940s, eight more warehouses were constructed at the Broadway Naval Station Annex to support expanding material storage needs.
The significant growth in the Naval Supply Depot's customer base resulted in its recommissioning as the Naval Supply Center (NSC) San Diego in 1959. A sister Supply Center in Long Beach closed in 1973 as part of a Navy initiative to streamline shore establishments and NSC San Diego assumed logistics support for the Naval Shipyard, Naval Station, and ships homeported in Long Beach. In 1980, as a result of additional consolidation, NSC San Diego assumed responsibility for selected Naval Air Station North Island Supply Department aviation material and related functions.
In 1992, NSC San Diego transferred its warehouse operations to the Defense Logistics Agency, payroll and accounting operations to the Defense Finance and Accounting Center, and data processing operations to the Defense Information Systems Agency as part of Department of Defense streamlining initiatives to reduce costs.
Based on these changes and related infrastructure studies, the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) concept was born. With a new mission to become business partners with Navy and Marine Corps shore and industrial activities, FISC provides a full range of consumer level business, logistics and support services. In addition, FISC provides "one stop" coordination for all ship, aviation and shore activity supply support requirements and serves as the link between Navy and Marine Corps customers and the centralized services of major Defense Agencies.
Fleet and Industrial Supply Center [FISC] San Diego provides logistics, business and support services to fleet, shore and industrial commands of the Navy, Coast Guard and Military Sealift Command, and other Joint and Allied Forces. The FISC delivers combat capability through logistics by teaming with regional partners and customers to provide material management, procurement, contracting and transportation services, technical and customer support, defense fuel products and worldwide movement of personal property.
The FISC prototype has evolved greatly since its inception in 1992. Early partnerships were established with Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, NAS North Island and Naval Station San Diego. In 1993, a Naval Supply Systems Command infrastructure review developed a "FISC centered" procurement strategy. In 1994, FISCs and Naval Regional Contracting Centers (NRCCs) were merged in order to reduce costs and improve responsiveness. The FISC and NRCC San Diego merger, along with their respective Long Beach detachment, resulted in a Regional Contracting Department that awards $400 million in large contracts and small purchases annually.
With the upgrade of Uniform Automated Data Processing System for Stock Points (U2), FISC San Diego pioneered the era of inventory sharing through centralized management of multiple inventory sites. FISC San Diego, with the NAS North Island as its partner, implemented the first U2 partner site in 1993. In 1994, FISC San Diego partnered with the Naval Aviation Depot North Island, Naval Station San Diego, and Long Beach Naval Shipyard. In 1995, as the result of a business case analysis, FISC San Diego partnered with Commander, Marine Corps Air Bases Western Area and became the inventory manager for Marine Corps Air Stations El Toro and Yuma.
Responding to Surface Mine Counter Measure community needs, FISC San Diego assumed the Ingleside Detachment from FISC Pensacola when they closed. Other partnerships during recent years include Naval Air Warfare Center China Lake, Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity (SIMA) San Diego, SIMA Ingleside, NAS Lemoore, CBC Port Hueneme, Naval Air Weapons Station Point Mugu, and Naval Reserve Air Stations and Joint Reserve bases at Atlanta, Fort Worth, New Orleans, Santa Clara, Washington D.C., Willow Grove, and Stewart. In 1998 FISC San Diego became the Supply Logistics Assistant Chief of Staff to Commander, Navy Region, Southwest.
The Naval Supply Systems Command's Competitive Sourcing Strategy, which focused primarily on Commercial Activity (A-76) studies, resulted in the following outcomes. In 1999, decisions were made to retain in-house the Global Advanced Traceability and Control (ATAC) and Fuels functions. In 2000, final decisions were made to retain in-house the Navy Region Southwest's Personal Property Services function, and to outsource the Region's Hazardous Material operation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|