Barton Barracks, Germany
On 08 January 2015, the US Department of Defense announced the consolidation of some U.S. infrastructure in Europe, including the return of 15 sites to their host nations. As a result of this announcement, DoD is to close Barton Barracks thereby fully returning the site to Germany, and relocating the Department of Defense Dependents Schools district office to Sembach.
Barton Barracks was built between 1936 and 1938. During World War II, a German heavy motorized battery was billeted there. The post was named in the honor of Lt. Colonel David Barton who was killed in action June 3, 1944, in Velletri, Italy. Present occupants include the 235th BSB headquarters, military police, military intelligence, and personnel and finance units.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|