Scranton Army Ammunition Plant
Scranton AAP is located near the center of Scranton. The site consists of 15.3 acres and 14 buildings.
The site originally was a railroad maintenance facility; the Army bought the property in 1951 and converted it to a production plant for the metal parts for large caliber artillery projectiles for the Korean War. The contractor was the U.S. Hoffman Machinery Company and production began in 1953.
In 1963, Chamberlain Manufacturing Corporation became the contractor and has operated the plant ever since. In 1967, a plan for modernizing the facilities and equipment was implemented. Today, they make 5-inch shells for the Navy, 120-mm mortar rounds for the Army and several 155-mm develop-mental rounds (M898, M795 and XM982) in conjunction with Picatinny Arsenal, although Scranton is officially an inactive plant.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|