UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


Indiana Army Ammunition Plant/Facility One

Indiana AAP is just east of Charlestown, IN, and 15 miles north of Louisville, KY. One of the largest ammunition plants in the Industrial Operations Command, it has 9,790 acres and 1,401 buildings.

The facility was constructed in 1940-1941 with additions throughout World War II. During the war, it had three distinct production facilities: a smokeless powder plant, a rocket-propellant plant, and a bag-manufacturing-and-loading facility for artillery, cannon, and mortar ammuniton. The rocket-propellant plant was never completed and its one line was only in production for 1 month. In the fall of 1945, the whole facility was placed on standby.

The government partially reactivated Indiana A4P in 1948, but the plant did not return to large-scale military production until 1952, during the Korean War. Goodyear and duPont, the contractor-operators during World War II, were once again contractors during the Korean War. No new construction for manufacturing pur-poses was done during the early 1950s but a number of new storage and maintenance facilities were built. Goodyear and duPont remained as caretakers from 1957-1959 while the plant was again placed in standby status.

The whole facility was then taken over by Liberty Powder Defense Corporation, a subsidiary of Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation.

In 1961, the plant again began to produce munitions. In the same year, Olin took direct charge of the plant. During the Vietnam War, it produced cloth bags of 105mm artillery charges and also produced smokeless powder. ICI America, Inc., a subsidiary of Imperial Chemical Industries PLC, took over the plant in 1972. During the 1970s the plant was modernized, primarily in order to better manufacture black powder and to make the assembly lines more automated.

Production ceased in 1992, and the plant is inactive and in modified caretaker status. It is maintained by ICI America, Inc. The plant was renamed "Facility One" on 9 May 1995. More than 30 tenant companies are located here.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 02:42:01 ZULU