Air StaffThe CSAF performs his duties under the authority, direction, and control of the SECAF, presides over the Air Staff, and is the principal military advisor to the SECAF on Air Force activities. The CSAF also serves as a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) and the Armed Forces Policy Council. In the JCS capacity, the CSAF is one of the military advisors to the President, the National Security Council, and the Secretary of Defense.
The CSAF is not subject to the authority, direction and control of the SECAF when he is acting solely in his capacity as a member of the JCS; however, the CSAF shall keep the SECAF fully informed of significant military operations affecting the duties and responsibilities of the Department of the Air Force to the extent permitted by the authority, direction, and control of the SECDEF.
The Chief of Staff of the Air Force. The CSAF, subject to the authority, direction, and control of the SECAF, is responsible for the following:
- Presiding over the Air Staff;
- Transmitting Air Staff plans and recommendations to the SECAF and advising the SECAF with regard to such plans and recommendations;
- Acting as the SECAF's agent in carrying out the plans or recommendations of the Air Staff;
- Exercising supervision, consistent with the authority assigned to the combatant commanders, over such members of the Air Force as the SECAF determines;
- Performing the duties prescribed for the CSAF under 10 USC Section 171 as a member of the Armed Forces Policy Council, as well as other duties prescribed by law; and,
- Performing other military duties as assigned to the CSAF by the President, the SECDEF, or the SECAF.
The CSAF also performs duties as a member of the JCS.
- The CSAF shall inform the SECAF regarding military advice rendered by members of the JCS on matters affecting the Department of the Air Force, to the extent that such action does not impair the independence of the CSAF in his role as a member of the JCS.
- Subject to the authority, direction, and control of the SECDEF, the CSAF shall keep the SECAF fully informed of significant military operations affecting the duties and responsibilities of the department of the Air Force.
Under the authority, direction, and control of the SECAF and the CSAF, the Air Staff is responsible for:
- Preparing for the employment of the Air Force and such recruiting, organizing, supplying, equipping, training, servicing, mobilizing, demobilizing, administering, and maintaining of the Air Force that will assist in the execution of any power, duty, or function of the SECAF or CSAF;
- Investigating and reporting on the efficiency of the Air Force and its preparation to support military operations by combatant commands;
- Preparing detailed instructions for the execution of approved plans and supervising the execution of those plans;
- Coordinating the actions of organizations of the Air Force as directed by the SECAF or the CSAF; and,
- Performing other duties, not otherwise assigned by law, as may be prescribed by the SECAF or the CSAF.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|