99th Flying Training Squadron [99th FTS]
The 99th Flying Training Squadron conducts instructor pilot training and is responsible for the flying portion of the training.
The 99th Flying Training Squadron was originally constituted as the 99th Pursuit Squadron on 19 March 1941. It activated on 22 March 1941 at Chanute Field, IL, and was assigned to the Army Air Corps. The 99th holds the distinction of having been the first Black flying unit to have been organized in the Air Corps.
It was reassigned, days later, on 26 March 1941, to the Air Corps Technical Training Command, and to Southeast Air Corps (later, Southeast Army Air Forces) Training Center, on 5 November 1941 (attached to III Fighter Command, 19 Aug 1942-c. 2 Apr 1943), relocating in the process to Maxwell Field, AL, and later to Tuskegee, AL, on 10 November 1941 and until 2 April 1943.
The squadron was redesignated as the 99th Fighter Squadron on 15 May 1942 and reassigned therafter to Twelfth Air Force on 24 April 1943; to XII Air Support (later, XII Tactical Air) Command, on 28 May 1943 (though attached to the 33rd Fighter Group, on 29 May 1943; to the 324th Fighter Group, c. 29 June 1943; to the 33rd Fighter Group, on 19 July 1943; to the 79th Fighter Group, on 16 October 1943; and to the 324th Fighter Group, from 1 April-6 June 1944). The 99th was redesignated as the 99th Fighter Squadron, Single Engine, on 28 February 1944 and reassigned to the 332nd Fighter Group, on 1 May 1944 (though attached to 86th Fighter Group, 11-30 June 1944). Flying the P-40 (1943-1944), the P-39 (1944), the P-51 (1944-1945) and the P-47 (1944, 1945-1949), the squadron saw combat in MTO and ETO, from 2 June 1943-30 April 1945, operating from location in French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily and Italy.
The squadron returned to the United States to Godman Field, KY, on 22 June 1945, and was reassigned to the 477th Composite Group. Reassigned to the 332nd Fighter Group, on 1 July 1947, the 99th inactivated on 1 July 1949 at Lockbourne AAB (later, AFB), OH.
Redesignated as the 99th Flying Training Squadron on 29 April 1988, the 99th FTS reactivated on 1 July 1988 at Williams AFB, AZ. Assigned to the 82nd Flying Training Wing, the squadron Began opearting the T-38 and was tasked with conducting undergraduate pilot training.
The unit was later reassigned to the 82nd Operations Group on 15 December 1991, before inactivating on 1 April 1993.
The 99th FTS reactivated on 14 May 1993 at Randolph AFB, TX, under the 12th Flying Training Wing's Operations Group.