93rd Air Refueling Squadron [93rd ARS]
The 93rd Air Refueling Squadron was constituted as the 493rd Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 19 September 1942. It was activated on 25 October 1942 and assigned to the 7th Bombardment Group. The squadron, starting in 1943, until 1946 flew the B-24. It was redesignated as the 493rd Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, on 6 March 1944.
The squadron was deployed during the course of World War II to various stations in India, with a detachment at Luliang, China, from 17 December 1944-26 January 1945, until January 1946 when it returned to the United States and was inactivated at Camp Kilmer, NJ, on 6 January 1946. The squadron saw combat in CBI, from 26 January 1943-10 June 1944 and 19 October 1944-3 July 1945; transported gasoline to forward bases in China, from 20 June-30 September 1944, and dropped propaganda leaflets in Thailand, from June-September 1945.
The squadron was consolidated on 19 September 1985 with the 93rd Air Refueling Squadron, Medium, which was constituted on 2 February 1949 and activated on 1 March 1949 at Castle AFB, CA, as part of the 93rd Bombardment Group. That squadron flew the KB-29 starting in 1950 and converted to the KC-97 in 1953. The squadron was attached twice to the 93rd Bombardment Wing, from 15 July 1950-30 January 1951 and from 10 February 1951-15 June 1952 until being formally reassigned to it on 16 Jun 1952.
The squadron was first tasked with air refueling in October 1951.
The squadron was redesignated as the 93rd Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy, on 1 February 1955.
From 1951 to 1956, the unit was frequently stationned at different bases, both at home and overseas, operating from Upper Heyford RAF, England(9 December 1951-6 March 1952); Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ(1 April-15 May 1954); Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland (29 June-14 August 1954); Thule AB, Greenland (19 January-c. 15 March 1955); Elmendorf AFB, AK (2 November 1955-5 January 1956 and 27 September-c. 24 December 1956). The squadron transitionned to the KC-135 in 1957.
Portions of the squadron deployed in support of operations in Southwest Asia, from 2 September 1990-10 March 1991.
The consolidated squadron was redesignated as the 93rd Air Refueling Squadron on 1 September 1991 and assigned to the 93rd Operations Group. It was reassigned to the 398th Operations Group, on 1 June 1992.
It was inactivated on 31 March 1995. Reactivated on the same day at Fairchild AFB, WA, the 93rd was assigned to the 92nd Air Refueling Wing's Operations Group.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|