912th Air Refueling Squadron [912th ARS]
The 912th Air Refueling Squadron was constituted as the 22nd Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) on 28 January 1942. Redesignated 412th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 22 April 1942, it was activated on 15 June 1942 at Barksdale Field, LA, and assigned to the 95th Bombardment Group, flying the B-17 aircraft. The squadron relocated to Pendleton Field, OR, on 26 June 1942.
The squadron deployed to England for the duration of World War II and was redesignated as the 412th Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, on 20 August 1943. During World War II, the squadron saw combat in ETO, from 13 May 1943-20 April 1945. It was inactivated on 28 August 1945, after returning to the United States, at Sioux Falls AAFld, SD.
Redesignated 412th Bombardment Squadron, Very Heavy, on 9 July 1947, the squadron was activated in the Reserve on 16 July 1947, at Knoxville Municipal Airport, and assigned to the 95th Bombardment Group. The squadron inactivated on 27 June 1949.
The squadron consolidated on 19 September 1985, with the 912th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy, which was itself constituted, and activated, on 3 August 1961 and assigned to Strategic Air Command. It was organized on 1 December 1961 at Robins AFB, GA, and assigned to the 4137th Strategic Wing. The 912th was tasked until 1972 with providing long distance aerial refueling. The squadron converted to the KC-135 in 1962.
The 912th was reassigned to the 465th Bombardment Wing on 1 February 1963 and to the 19th Bombardment (later 19th Air Refueling) Wing, on 25 July 1968.
In 1973, the 912th's mission changed to that of providing worldwide aerial refueling.
From 1984 to 1989, the 912th gained an airborne command post mission while being assigned the EC-135 aircraft. The 912th supported operations in Grenada, from 23-24 October 1983; Panama, from 18-21 December 1989; and in Southwest Asia, from August 1990-March 1991.
The squadron was redesignated as the 912th Air Refueling Squadron on 1 September 1991 and assigned to the 19th Operations Group.
On 1 April 1994, the 912th ARS was assigned to the 319th Air Refueling Wing's Operations Group and relocated to Grand Forks AFB, ND.
The 912th ARS deployed in support of Operation DECISIVE ENDEAVOR at Istres AB, France, to provide refueling support for operations over Bosnia. In addition to the 912th's squadron-wide deployments, it has served in the Pacific and European Theaters on "Channel Runs" as part of the expanding role and mission of the KC-135R tanker. Although the primary mission of the 912th ARS is to support the flying operations of the Air Force, it has met the operational flying requirements of the Navy, Marines, and served for U.S. federal agencies in the "War on Drugs" by participating in drug interdiction operations.
The mission of the 912th Air Refueling Squadron is to organize, train, and equip KC-135R/T aircrew members as a combat force multiplier for rapid global mobilization, worldwide deployment, aerial refueling, and airlift operations for the US and its allies. The 912th ARS enables Global Engagement by maintaining an all-weather warfighting capability in support of conventional and special operations, contingency taskings, and the nation's Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|