76th Airlift Squadron [76th AS]
The 76th Airlift Squadron, based at Ramstein AB, Germany, provides operational support and distinguished visitor airlift throughout the theater.
The 76th Airlift Squadron traces its lineage to the 76th Ferrying Squadron (Special) which was constituted on 30 January 1943. Activated on 8 February 1943 at Homestead AAB, FL, it was assigned to the 2nd Operational Training Unit, and tasked with training transport flight crews, flying the C-46 (1943), C-49 (1943), AT-17 (1943), C-54 (1943-1944), C-60 (1943-1944), C-87(1943-1944), and the B-24 (1943-1944) aircraft. It was redesignated 76th Transport Transition Squadron on 4 June 1943 and disbanded on 31 March 1944.
The 76th was reconstituted, and redesignated as the 76th Air Transport Squadron, Medium, on 20 June 1952. It activated on 20 July 1952 at Kelly AFB, TX, and was assigned to the 1700th Air Transport Group, operating the C-54. Its mission was to provide worldwide airlift.
The squadron was reassigned to the 1608th Air Transport Group, on 1 February 1956, relocating in the process to Charleston AFB, SC. That year, the 76th transitioned to the C-121, and provided transport of UN troops to the Suez Canal in November 1956.
It was reassigned to the 1608th Air Transport Wing, on 18 January 1963. 1963 also saw the squadron convert to the C-130 aircraft.
The squadron was redesignated as the 76th Military Airlift Squadron on 8 January 1966. It was, that same day, reassigned to the 437th Military Airlift Wing. That year, the squadron transitioned to the C-141 aircraft.
The 76th supported Operations in Southeast Asia (1966-1973) as well as the evacuation of Saigon in May 1975. The 76th also conducted airlift operations to Grenada, from October to December 1983 and to Panama, from 18-28 December 1989.
The 76th also conducted airlift operations in Southwest Asia, from August 1990-December 1991. During that period, the 76th was redesignated as the 76th Airlift Squadron on 1 October 1991 and reassigned to the 437th Wing's Operations Groups.
Reassigned to the 86th Airlift Wing's Operations Group, on 1 October 1993, the 76th AS relocated to Ramstein AB, Germany, on that date.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|