75th Airlift Squadron [75th AS]
The 75th Airlift Squadron reportedly operates C-9 Aeromedical Evacuation aircraft.
The 75th Airlift Squadron traces its lineage to the 75th Ferrying Squadron (Special) which was constituted on 30 January 1943. It was activated on 8 February 1943 at Homestead AAB, FL, and assigned to the 2nd Operational Training Unit, Air Transport Command.
Redesignated 75th Transport Transition Squadron on 4 June 1943, it was disbanded on 31 March 1944. During the course of World War II, the squadron provided operational training and air transport of cargo. The squadron primarily flew C-46 and C-54 aircraft, but also the AT-6 (1943); the AT-17 (1943); the B-24 (1943-1944); the C-36 (1943); the C-39 (1943); the C-49 (1943); the C-57 (1943); the C-60 (1943-1944); the C/UC-78 (1943); and the C-87 (1943-1944).
It was reconstituted, and redesignated as the 75th Air Transport Squadron, Medium, on 20 June 1952. It activated on 20 July 1952, at Great Falls AFB, MT. Assigned to the 1701st Air Transport Group, and flying the C-54, the unit provided airlift to Alaska and throughout the Pacific that same year.
Having relocated to Travis AFB, CA, on 28 April 1953, it was reassigned to the 1501st Air Transport Group, on 16 May 1953, before being redesignated as the 75th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy, on 8 October 1953. 1953 also saw the squadron transition to the C-97 aircraft, which it replaced with the C-124 in 1960.
It was reassigned to the 1501st Air Transport Wing, on 18 January 1963, and began flying almost exclusively to Southeast Asia, starting October 1965 and until April 1975. In 1965, the 75th transitioned to the C-141 Starlifter. The squadron was redesignated as the 75th Military Airlift Squadron, on 8 January 1966, at which date it was also reassigned to the 60th Military Airlift Wing.
The squadron transitioned to the C-5 in 1970.
The 75th's was next reassigned to the 60th Military Airlift Group, on 6 March 1978; and to the 60th Military Airlift Wing, on 15 February 1979.
The 75th provided support of operations in Panama, on 20 December 1989 and Southwest Asia, starting in August 1990.
Redesignated as the 75th Airlift Squadron on 1 November 1991, it was reassigned to the 60th Operations Group.
It was reassigned to the 86th Operations Group on 1 October 1993, relocating in the process to Ramstein AB, Germany.
The 75th AS provided airlift in support of evacuation operations of U.S. Navy sailors injured as a result of the October 12, 2000 terrorist bombing of the USS Cole. The mission to Yemen and Djibouti brought 28 sailors to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany, October 14. C-9s from the 75th Airlift Squadron, medical teams from Ramstein's 86th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, and Critical Care Air Transport teams from the Landstuhl provided the resources and medical assistance needed to bring the patients to Germany.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|