4th Airlift Squadron [4th AS]
The 4th Airlift Squadron was constituted as the 4th Provisional Transport Squadron on 1 March 1935 and redesignated as the 4th Transport Squadron on 25 June 1935. It was formally activated on 8 July 1935 at Rockwell Field, CA and assigned to the Rockwell Air Depot with the C-27 aircraft. The squadron transitioned to the C-33 the following year and added the C-39 to its inventory in 1938.
The squadron was reassigned to the 10th Transport Group, on 20 May 1937, and then to the 62nd Transport (later, 62nd Troop Carrier) Group, from 10 May 1941-14 November 1945, though it was attached to the 64th Troop Carrier Group, from 3 April to 19 June 1944). During that time, the squadron's designation was changed to that of the 4th Troop Carrier Squadron on 4 July 1942, transitionning that same year to the C-47. The 4th deployed to many locations during World War II in England, Algeria, French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, and Italy. The squadron also operated from bases in India, from 12 April to 11 June 1944. Operations in which the squadron was involved include airborne assaults on Sicily, on Myitkyina, Burma, and on Southern France; support of partisans in Northern Italy and the Balkans; and aerial transportation in MTO and, briefly, in CBI.
Following the end fo World War II, the squadron was inactivated on 13 December 1945.
The squadron was reactivated on 7 Sep 1946, at Bergstrom Field, TX, and assigned to the 62nd Troop Carrier Group, although the unit was attached to various elements of FEAF for operations during the period going from 1 December 1950-16 November 1951. The C-46 was the aircraft assigned to the squadron.
Transitioning to the C-82 in 1947, the squadron moved to McChord Field (later AFB), WA, on 20 July.
The squadron was successively redesignated as the 4th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium, on 23 June 1948 and the 4th Troop Carrier Squadron, Heavy, on 12 October 1949. That same year saw the 4th transition to the C-54, while the following year, moving to Japan for stationing at Ashiya AB, and later at Tachikawa AB. The unit provided aerial transportation from the US to Japan, and subsequently between Japan and Korea from 1 December 1950-16 November 1951.
Transitioning to the C-124 in 1951 and returning, in November 1951, to McChord AFB, the squadron relocated to Larson AFB, WA, on 11 May 1952.
Reassigned to the 62nd Troop Carrier (later, 62nd Air Transport; 62nd Military Airlift) Wing, on 15 January 1960, the 4th relocated to McChord AFB, on 13 June. The squadron was redesignated as the 4th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy, on 8 July 1962 and as the 4th Military Airlift Squadron on 8 January 1966. 1966 also saw the squadron transition to the C-141.
The squadron provided airdrops of heavy equipment and personnel during the invasion of Panama on 20 December 1989.
The 4th was redesignated as the 4th Airlift Squadron and assigned to the 62nd Airlift Wing on 1 December 1991.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|