459th Airlift Squadron [459th AS]
The 459th Airlift Squadron maintains a forward presence in the Pacific and provides responsive airlift support for distinguished visitors, as well as other priority passengers and cargo, on travel vital to the national security interest of the United States.
The squadron maintains both UH-1N and C-21A aircraft and mission-ready aircrews to conduct priority airlift, aeromedical evacuation, and search and rescue missions throughout the Pacific.
the 459th Airlift Squadron was originally constituted as the 459th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 1 July 1942.
It activated on 6 July 1942 at Salt Lake City AAB, UT as a unit subordinate to the 330th Bombardment Group. The squadron operated the B-17 and B-24 aircraft and was tasked with conduvting replacement training. The squadron inactivated on 1 April 1944 at Biggs Field, TX.
Redesignated 459th Bombardment Squadron, Very Heavy, it reactivated on 1 April 1944 at Walked AAFled, KS. The 459th was assigned to the 330th Bombardment Group and operated both the B-17 and B-29 aircraft. The squadron saw combat in the Western Pacific, c. 12 April-14 August 1945. It inactivated on 21 December 1945 at Camp Anza, CA.
Redesignated as the 459th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium, on 26 May 1952, the squadron reactivated in the Reserve on 14 June 1952 at Greater Pittsburgh Airport, PA, and assigned to the 330th Troop Carrier Group before inactivating on 14 July 1952.
The unit was redesignated 459th Troop Carrier Squadron, and reactivated, on 12 October 1966, as a unit assigned to Pacific Air Forces. It organized on 1 January 1967 at Phu Cat AB, Vietnam. Assigned to the 483d Troop Carrier (later, 483d Tactical Airlift) Wing, it operated the C-7 aircraft. It was redesignated as the 459th Tactical Airlift Squadron on 1 August 1967. The squadron provided intratheater airlift in Southeast Asia, from January 1967 to May 1970. It inactivated on 1 June 1970.
The unit was consolidated on 1 December 1991 with the 1400th Military Airlift Squadron, which was designated, and activated, on 1 April 1975 at Norton AFB, CA, as a unit subordinate to the 89th Military Airlift Wing (later, 89th Military Airlift Group) and operating the CT-39 which it flew until 1985. During that period, the squadron provided airlift of key Department of Defense personnel. It was reassigned to the 375th Aeromedical (later, 375th Military) Airlift Wing, on 15 March 1978, providing aeromedical airlift. The squadron added the C-12 to its aircraft inventory in 1984 and the C-21 in 1985.
Redesignated as the 459th Airlift Squadron on 1 December 1991, the squadron was reassigned to the 375th Operations Group and was tasked with providing operational support airlift. It relocated ot March AFB, CA, on 15 October 1992 and was reassigned to the 22nd Operations Group on 1 April 1993 before inactivating on 1 October 1993.
The 459th reactivated on 1 October 1993 at Yokota AB, Japan, and was assigned to the 374th Operations Group.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|