The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


44th Fighter Squadron [44th FS]
(Base Code: ZZ)

The 44th Fighter Squadron was originally constituted as the 44th Pursuit Squadron (Interceptor) on 22 November 1940 and activated on 1 January 1941 at Wheeler Field, TH, and assigned to the 18th Pursuit (later, 18th Fighter) Group.

Redesignated as the 44th Fighter Squadron on 15 May 1942, it was reassigned to the 318th Fighter Group, on 20 October 1942. The unit was tasked with flying patrols over the Pacific from Hawaii, from 7 December 1941 to October 1942.

The unit was reassigned to the South Pacific Area, on 1 December 1942; and to Thirteenth Air Force, on 4 January 1943, seeing Combat in the South and Southwest Pacific, from 21 December 1942 to 15 August 1945.

The 44th was again reassigned, this time to the 18th Fighter (later, 18th Fighter-Bomber) Group, on 30 March 1943 (though later attached to the 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing, 25 July-30 November 1950; 6200th Air Base Wing, 1 December 1950-30 January 1953; Thirteenth Air Force, 31 January 1953-10 November 1954 and 11 December 1954-4 January 1955; 6200th Air Base Wing, 5-27 January 1955; Air Task Group Fifth, Provisional, 27 January-16 February 1955; 6200th Air Base Wing, 17 February-14 July 1955; Air Task Force 13, Provisional, 3-30 September 1955; 314th Air Division, 15-18 April 1956; 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing, 1 February-30 September 1957).

The 44th was redesignated as the 44th Fighter Squadron, Two Engine, on 26 January 1944.

The 44th was, during the course of WWII, stationed at locations such as Efate, New Hebrides, Guadalcanal, Luzon, Palawan, and Mindanao.

The unit was redesignated as the 44th Fighter Squadron, Single Engine, on 6 May 1946 and stationed on 17 July 1946 at Florida Blanca, Luzon. It relocated to Clark Field (later AFB), Luzon on 3 October 1947. The 44th was again redesignated as the 44th Fighter Squadron, Jet, on 23 December 1949; and the 44th Fighter-Bomber Squadron on 20 January 1950.

The unit relocated to Kadena AB, Okinawa, on 15 July 1955 (though deployed at Tao Yuan AB, Formosa, 3-30 Sep 1955; Pyongtaek AB, South Korea, 15-18 Apr 1956; and Korat RTAFB, Thailand, 18 Dec 1964-25 Feb 1965, 21 Apr-22 Jun 1965, and 10-29 Oct 1965) and was reassigned to the 18th Fighter-Bomber (later, 18th Tactical Fighter) Wing, on 1 October 1957 (though attached to 2d Air Division, 18 December 1964-25 February 1965, 21 April-23 June 1965, and 19-29 October 1965) and redesignated as the 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron on 1 July 1958.

The unit began to see Combat in Southeast Asia during the following periods: 18 December 1964-25 February 1965; 21 April-22 June 1965; 19-29 October 1965; and 25 April 1967-6 October 1970.

The 44th was subsequently reassigned to the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, 25 April 1967 at Korat RTAFB, Thailand, (attached to 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, 10-14 October 1969); 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, 15 October 1969; Thirteenth Air Force, 10 December 1970; 18th Tactical Fighter Wing, 15 March 1971 (attached to 3d Tactical Fighter Wing, 2 April-2 Junr 1972 and 28 July-8 September 1972; 327th Air Division, 6 November 1972-5 August 1973, 26 August-16 September 1973, 7-28 October 1973, 18 November-9 December 1973, 30 December 1973-20 January 1974, 10 February-2 March 1974, 23 March-13 April 1974, 4-25 May 1974, 15 June-6 July 1974, 27 July-16 August 1974, 5 September-17 October 1974, 30 November 1974-9 January 1975, and 20 February-10 April 1975).

Relocating to Kadena AB, Okinawa (later, Japan) on 15 Marhc 1971, the 44th was tasked with providing air defense of Okinawa and Japan. Since then, the unit has deployed at Kunsan AB, South Korea, 2 Apr- 2 Jun 1972 and 28 Jul-8 Sep 1972; Ching Chaun Kang AB, Taiwan, 6 Nov 1972-5 Aug 1973, 26 Aug-16 Sep 1973, 7-28 Oct 1973, 18 Nov-9 Dec 1973, 30 Dec 1973-20 Jan 1974, 10 Feb-2 Mar 1974, 23 Mar-13 Apr 1974, 4-25 May 1974, 15 Jun-6 Jul 1974, 27 Jul-16 Aug 1974, 5 Sep-17 Oct 1974, 30 Nov 1974-9 Jan 1975, and 20 Feb-10 Apr 1975.

The 44th was reassigned to the 18th Tactical Fighter Group, on 1 May 1978; and to the 18th Tactical Fighter Wing, on 11 February 1981.

The 44th was redesignated as the 44th Fighter Squadron on 1 October 1991 and assigned to the 18th Wing's Operations Group.

The squadron has been equipped with the F-15C Eagle since January 1980.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list


One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger - by Matthew Yglesias


 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 02:13:33 ZULU