433rd Airlift Wing [433rd AW]
The 433rd Airlift Wing, also known as the Alamo wing, was the first Reserve wing to be assigned the long-range, heavy lift C-5A Galaxy aircraft. In December 1984, the 433rd Tactical Airlift Wing (now 433rd Airlift Wing) at Kelly Air Force Base, Texas, became the first Air Force Reserve wing equipped with C-5s.
The 433rd Airlift Wing flies 16 of the giant C-5A Galaxy aircraft, the largest planes in the Air Force. The wing consists of 3,500 reservists, about 600 of whom work full-time at the base. he 433rd often has been called upon to take part in major military operations, including the Persian Gulf war in 1991 and peacekeeping missions in Bosnia and Somalia.
In December 2000 Air Force Secretary Whit Peters signed over joint control of Kelly Air Force Base's runway after July 31, 2001, once the Kelly Field Annex is realigned to Lackland Air Force Base. The Kelly Field Annex will continue to support the Air National Guard's 149th Fighter Wing and the Air Force Reserve's 433rd Airlift Wing.
The 433rd Airlift Wing traces it origins to the 907th Pilot Training Wing assigned to Brooks Air Force Base and activated in 1951. The unit was deactivated in 1953 and reassigned to the 8707th Pilot Training Wing, still out of Brooks AFB. In 1955, the 8707th was redesignated as the 433d Troop Carrier Wing and assigned to the Air Force Reserve. On November 1, 1960 the unit relocated to Kelly Air Force Base.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|