414th Combat Training Squadron [414th CTS]
The 414th Combat Training Squadron was originally constituted as the 414th Night Fighter Squadron on 21 January 1943. It activated on 26 January 1943 at Orlando AB, FL, and was assigned to the AAF School of Applied Tactics (though an air echelon was attached to VIII Fighter Command, from 31 March-2 July 1943) , flying the A-20, P-70 and Beaufighter (until 1943).
The squadron was reassigned to Twelfth Air Force on 10 May 1943 (though attached to Northwest African Coastal Air Force, from 11-29 May 1943); to 2nd Air Defense (later, 63d Fighter) Wing, on 29 May 1943; to the 62nd Fighter Wing, on 21 September 1944 (detachment attached to 422nd Night Fighter Squadron, from 27 January-23 April 1945); to XXII Tactical Air Command, on 1 Apr 1945; to Twelfth Air Force, on 7 June 1945. The squadron saw combat in MTO and ETO, from 24 July 1943-29 April 1945, operating from locations in Algeria, Sardinia, Tunisia, Corsica, Italy, Belgium and Germany. Aircraft flown by the unit were the P-38 (1945); the P-51 (1945, 1946-1947); and the P-61 (1945, 1946-1947).
Not operational, from June 1945 to August 1946, the squadron was reassigned to Fourth Air Force, on 26 August 1945, and returned to the United States at Lemoore AAFld, CA. It was reassigned to Air Defense Command on 21 March 1946; to Tactical Air Command, on 31 July 1946; to Third Air Force, on 1 October 1946; to Ninth Air Force, on 1 November 1946; and to the 6th Fighter Wing, on 24 March 1947. The squadron inactivated on 1 September 1947 at Rio Hato, Panama.
Redesignated as the 414th Fighter Weapons Squadron on 22 August 1969, the squadron reactivated on 15 October 1969 at Nellis AFB, NV. Assigned to the 57th Fighter Weapons (later, 57th Tactical Training; 57th Fighter Weapons) Wing, the 414th was tasked with combat crew training, using the F-4 aircraft. The squadron inactivated on 30 December 1981.
The squadron was redesignated as the 414th Composite Training Squadron, and activated, on 1 November 1991 at Nellis AFB. Assigned to the 57th Wing's Operations Group, and flying the F-16, the squadron was tasked with conducting Red Flag exercises.
The 414th was subsequently redesignated as the 414th Training Squadron on 15 January 1993; and as the 414th Combat Training Squadron on 1 July 1994.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|