384th Air Refueling Squadron [384th ARS]
The 384th Air Refueling Squadron traces its origins to the 584th Bombardment Squadron and the 384th Air Refueling Squadron which were consolidated on 19 September 1985.
The 584th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) was constituted on 15 February 1943 and activated on 5 March 1943 at MacDill Field, FL. It was attached to the 394th Bombardment Group and assigned the B-26 aircraft.
The squadron was subsequently deployed to Boreham, England, on 11 March 1944; Holmsley, England, on 24 July 1944; Tour-en-Bassin, France, on 22 Aug 1944; Bricy, France, on 21 September 1944; Cambrai-Niergnies, France, on 8 October 1944; Venlo, Holland, on 5 May 1945; and Kitzingen, Germany, from September 1945 to 15 February 1946.
During that period, the squadron changed its designation twice. First to the 584th Bombardment Squadron, Medium, on 9 October 1944 and then to the 584th Bombardment Squadron, Light, on 3 December 1945. From 1945, the squadron flew the A-26 aircraft. The squadron was inactivated on 31 March 1946 after its return to the United States at Bolling Field, DC.
The 384th Air Refueling Squadron, Medium, was constituted on 3 March 1955 and activated on 1 April 1955 and attached to the 4050th Air Refueling Wing, flying the KC-97. Stationed at Westover AFB, MA, it deployed to to Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, from 27 April to 27 June 1956 and from 21 May to 25 June 1957 during which period it was attached to HQ Eighth Air Force. The 384th's mission was then to conduct aerial refueling for SAC bombers in the North Atlantic area.
The squadron was reassigned to the 499th Air Refueling Wing, on 1 January 1963. It deployed to Lajes AB, Azores, from 28 September to c. 28 December 1963. The squadron was discontinued and inactivated on 25 June 1966.
Redesignated as the 384th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy, on 19 June 1973, it was reactivated at McConnell AFB, KS, on 30 September 1973 as part of the 384th Air Refueling Wing(later 384th Bombardment Wing). The squadron's transitioned to the KC-135 at that time and was tasked with conducting Worldwide aerial refueling.
The squadron supported operations in Panama, from 18-20 December 1989 and in Southwest Asia from August 1990 to March 1991.
The 384th was redesignated 384th Air Refueling Squadron on 1 September 1991 and assigned to the 384th Operations Group.
On 1 June 1992, the squadron was reassigned to the 19th Operations Group.
On 1 January 1994, the 384 ARS was reassigned to the 22nd Operations Group of the 22nd Air Refueling Wing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|