312th Airlift Squadron [312th AS]
The mission of the 312th Airlift Squadron is to train and provide qualified C-5 aircrews to fly worldwide airlift missions and augment the active duty forces under various readiness conditions up to and including full mobilization.
The 312th Airlift Squadron can trace its history all the way back to the origins of the 349th Air Mobility Wing at Sedalia Army Air Field, MO, in 1943. The 312th flew the C-46 "Commando" during World War II and participated in the largest mass formation of C-46s ever flown. As the war ended, the 312th was training Chinese aircrews at Bergstrom Air Force Base, TX, after which it was deactivated.
The unit was reactivated at Hamilton Air Force Base, in Marin County, CA, When the 349th was reorganized as a fighter-bomber wing, the 312th flew the T-6, T-28, F-51, F-80 and F-84 aircraft. Another reorganization converted the wing back to cargo aircraft and the 312th began flying the C-119 "Flying Boxcar." The 312th saw active duty service during the Korean War, Cuban Missile Crisis and Persian Gulf War as well as continuing service during the Vietnam War.
The unit flew the C-124 "Globemaster" in the 1960s and moved from Hamilton to Travis AFB in 1968 where it converted to the C-141 "Starlifter," all-jet cargo aircraft. In 1973, the 312th converted to the C-5 "Galaxy," which it flies today.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|