25th Flying Training Squadron [25th FTS]
The 25th Flying Training Squadron provides and trains pilots for U.S. and allied air forces through comprehensive advanced flying training using the T-38 aircraft.
The 25th Flying Training Squadron was originally constituted as the 25th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron on 5 February 1943. It was redesignated as the 25th Photographic Squadron (Light) on 6 February 1943 before activating on 9 February 1943 at Colorado Springs, CO.
Upon the unit's activation, it was assigned to the 6th Photographic (later 6th Photographic Reconnaissance and Mapping; 6th Photographic Reconnaissance; 6th Photographic; 6th Reconnaissance) Group (though attached to V Fighter Command after 10 February 1946). It was redesignated as the 25th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron on 11 August 1943. The 25th saw combat in the Southwest Pacific and Western Pacific, from 5 February 1944-14 August 1945. Operating from locations in Australia, New Guinea, Leyte, Mindoro, Luzon and Japan, the squadron flew the P-38/F-5 (1943-1945), and the B-25 (1944). The squadron was not operationally manned or equipped, from November 1945-February 1946.
It was redesignated as the 25th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron on 24 January 1946 and relocated to Itami, Japan, on 30 March 1946. It was subsequently reassigned to V Fighter Command on 27 April 1946; to the 315th Composite Wing on 31 May 1946; and to the 71st Reconnaissance (later, 71st Tactical Reconnaissance) Group on 28 February 1947 (attached to 315th Composite Wing to November 1947). It inactivated on 1 April 1949, having flown the in P-51/F-6 (1946-1949), the L-5 (1946), and the F-2 (1947-1948).
Redesignated as the 25th Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron, Fighter, on 4 November 1954, the 25th reactivated on 24 January 1955 at Larson AFB, WA. It was assigned to the 71st Strategic Reconnaissance Wing and operated the RF-84 aircraft, providing photographic reconnaissance in the western United States. It inactivated on 1 July 1957.
Redesignated as the 25th Flying Training Squadron on 14 April 1972, the 25th FTS activated on 1 November 1972 at Vance AFB, OK, under the 71st Flying Training Wing. There, the squadron began operating the T-38 aicraft and was tasked with conducting undergraduate pilot training for USAF, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve, and selected foreign allies.
The 25th FTS was reassigned to the 71st Operations Group on 15 December 1991.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|