184th Fighter Squadron [184th FS]
The 184th Fighter Squadron was activated and federally recognized on October 15, 1953 as the 184th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron at Fort Smith, Arkansas. Dubbed "Rick's Rippers" in honor of Maj. Gen. Earl T. Ricks, former Adjutant General and highly decorated World War II Air Force pilot from Arkansas, the unit's first roll call was answered by 19 officers and 93 enlisted personnel.
The squadron's first mission was reconnaissance, flying the RB-26, a twin engine modified bomber. In 1956, the 184th transitioned to the RF-80 jet aircraft with a daylight photography mission. The following year brought their first swept-wing jet, the RF-84F. The unit continued to grow and was re-designated the 188th Tactical Reconnaissance Group on October 15, 1962. In 1970, the 188th converted to the RF-101 and continued its reconnaissance mission until 1972 when they received the F-100 and became the 188th Tactical Fighter Group. In 1976, the group became known as the Flying Razorbacks and was assigned the F-4C Phantom in April 1979.
The squadron attained combat ready status in the F-16 "Fighting Falcon" in 1988. The squadron flies block 32 models of the F-16C.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|