173rd Air Refueling Squadron [173rd ARS]
The 173rd Air Refueling Squadron was originally organized in 1943 as the 401st Fighter Squadron at Westover Field in Massachusetts in 1943. Following the end of World War II, the squadron was desactivated in November 1945.
Alloted to the state of Nebraska's National Guard on 24 May, 1946, it was redesignated as the 173rd Fighter Squadron.
Later assigned to the 132nd Fighter Wing, the unit was called to active duty as a result of the Korean War. It returned to National Guard status in December 1942.
The 173rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron and the Nebraska units of the 132nd Fighter Interceptor Group were reorganized as the 155th Fighter Group on July 1, 1960.
The mission of the 133rd was changed during the 1980's to an air refueling one. As a result of this mission change, the squadron transitionned to the KC-135 Tankers, receiving 9 of these.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|